cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 2010 keeps failing

flanders
Not applicable

Hello,

I recently installed Backup Exec 2010 (server side of things) on a system running Windows Server 2008, x64.  The installation went fine.  

I then installed the Backup Exec client software on several Linux servers running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, Cent OS, and Fedora Core.  The Backup Exec client installed without incident and all clients were able to communite with the backup server.

For the first month backups ran smoothly, but then I installed the backup exec Linux client on a few more machines...turns out it was one machine to many.  I bought six client licenses but accidentally installed VRTSralus on a seventh Linux machine.  That night my backups failed and have failed every night since then.  I receive the following errros:

Completed status: Failed

Final error: 0xe000ffl1 - A communications failure has occrred with a Linux or Unix resource.

Final error category: Resource Errors

The Linux or Unix resource is not responding. Backup set canceled.

I first uninstalled the seventh Linux client license but that did not make a difference.  Next I uninstalled backup exec on my Windows 2008 server but that didn't make a difference either.  Then I went as far as removing my Linux clients on each machine and reinstalling, but the nightly backup still fails.  This morning I discovered that my backups keep failing because at some point during the backup process the linux clients (VRTSralus) stops running.  It does not stop on all my machines, but instead stops on three of my six machines.  

Is this somehow related to installing to many client licenses?  Is there another issue that is causing this?  I've confirmed that my firewall is stopped on all six Linux clients.  Thoughts on what else I can do to sovle this problem? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

CentOS and Fedora is not supported.  Check the SCL below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137682&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

Also, RHEL is only supported until RHEL 5.4

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

CentOS and Fedora is not supported.  Check the SCL below

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137682&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

Also, RHEL is only supported until RHEL 5.4