cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec backup exec 2010 installation won't start

Max_Ho
Level 3

i'm planning to install backup exec 2010 to my only server: windows std 2008 server.

but every time i click on install backup exec, nothing happen, nothing came out.

please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130618

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

AmolB

Hello 

Looks like a .netframework issue. Check the event viewer for any error message.

In the BE installables there is a folder "dotnetfx" which contains the installable of 

.netframework. Manually install it and then run the setup of BE. If still there is no 

installation wizzard then try repairing the .netframework from control panel.

Note: Make sure the size of BE2010 ISO is 3GB+, if not then the ISO is incomplete.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have download the installation DVD as 4 files which you joined together.  I would suggest that you download it again but as 1 file.  There should be a link on your download page to download the installation DVD as 1 file.

Also, you might want to download BE 2010 R2, if you are currently using BE 2010.  There are a lot of enhancements in BE 2010 R2.

Max_Ho
Level 3

AmolZeroCool, 

try to run installation again after dotnetfx completed, but still no response. no related event log with .netframework at event viewer. tried repair from control panel as well, same result, the installation wizard still not come out. 

pkh, 

the installation is from original software dvd. 

i'm going to download the SBE 2010 R2 as well.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1) Is Windows Management Instrumentation service running on your server?

If not start the service and try the installation again.

2) Do you have Windows Server Core installation option running on your Server?

If so you can not install BE Media server on that. You can only install only a remote agent.

Max_Ho
Level 3

Kiran Bandi,

1) the WMI is running. 

2) any ideal where i can find out whether my server running with windows server core installation? the server is fully setup b4 deliver to our company.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Windows Server Core installation will not be having normal windows components like windows explorer, Internet Explorer.....

All configuration and maintenance is done entirely through Command Line Interface.

Max_Ho
Level 3

Kiran,

that the case, my server is not running on windows server core. 

AmolB

Browse to C:\Program Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs look for bkupinst.htm file.

If the file file exists post it here, the log file contains the installation log.

Max_Ho
Level 3

VxLogServer Generated Log Files

Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 13 Installation Log

10-27-2010,16:38:40 : Executing alternate Core OS executable:
10-27-2010,16:38:40 : F:\BE\WINNT\INSTALL\BE32\Install\
10-27-2010,16:38:40 : ERROR: Installation failed with error 3. GetLastError = :5

AmolB

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130618

Max_Ho
Level 3

AmolZeroCool,

hei bro, thanks. this one finally solved my problem. finally we know is due to the terminal server. many thanks to all of you. yes

AmolB

Cheers