cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec's new BE11 'discount' offer & my disgust

Rodd_Ahrenstorf
Level 2
I'm sure most of you will receive the new Symantec offer for BE11 discounted prices...

I don't usually rant like this, but I purchased a Symantec BE10.1 license from TechSoup (a Symantec reseller for non-profits) in June of 2006 at an approved discounted price for non-profits. Later, Symantec pulled all corporate software offerings from TechSoup and started their own non-profit program (with significantly higher prices).

Now however, Symantec will not honor my previous purchase at all..."no upgrade path offered" they said. Although I have a serial number, it doesn't exist in their eyes. Yet, they want to sell me BE11 at a 40% discount (which is more than the non-profit discount), when the product has been, as noted by many forum users and your own admission, a very buggy product.

Symantec, please take heed: I have been a Symantec and Veritas customer for nearly 10 years. I have 3 other Symantec product types deployed across our network, but I'll yank all of them and never purchase another Symantec product again unless you FIX product quality and customer services. We have already migrated back to BE9 (we began calling BE10.1 "BackupExcept") and are now testing a competitors product that is actually reliable.

Why would you burn a customer like that? In all those years of paying for products with support, I have never even taken advantage of technical support. Never really had to...your products were stable and worked. Now, you seem to have lost sight of product quality and customer service.

Your welcome to contact me at rahrenstorff@behaviormanagement.org if someone cares to resolve this because it didn't happen on the phone with Symantec sales or support. If this is resolved for the good, I'll gladly spread the word. If it's not resolved, I'll do the same...to your detriment.

End rant...
2 REPLIES 2

Rodd_Ahrenstorf
Level 2
I want to let forum posters know that a Symantec representative has contacted me regarding my complaint. This is good news! I am still awaiting an outcome, and when/if that happens, I'll be sure to post if the result was favorable or not.

Jamie_Orth
Level 3
Keep us up to date on the progress. It seems like the Veritas product was good. My company had issues with CA products and yanked everyone from our network. Now, the Symantec in charge, it seems that the products (BE10, BE11) are not as stable as versions in the past....

Good luck!!!