cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic Backup succesfull - but the size of the data is declining

Evald_Nielsen
Level 3
Partner
I am witnessing a peculiar problem. I have configured a Synthetic Backup policy using the basic wizard. The policy consist og the baseline, the incremental and the synthetic backup job. The original baseline and all following incremental jobs are being written to a disk folder. Destination for the new synthetic backup is Tape1. The previous synthetic backup is placed in Tape2. The 'Preferred SourceDevice' is All Devices (Server). From the job logs, I can see that the first Synthetic Backups went well. It reports that the source is being read from both the diskfolder ( containing the incremental backup ) and the Tape2 ( containing the previous Synthetic bACKUP.
But then there comes a succelfull Synthetic Backup on roughly 22 GB, based on a previous backup on 45 Gb and an incremental on 107 Gb, and that is hard to figure. I have lately updated to sp 1 and hotfixes up till 19 + hotfix 26 and tried to rerun the above amount of data, the result is the same.
As I was analysing this behavior, I also saw another pattern, 2 occasions where the Synthetic Backup was exactly the same size as the previous backup.

I would be very happy for proposals/ideas of how to solve these problerms.

Best regards

Evald N.
6 REPLIES 6

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-what is the exact version of BE you have ?

-what kind of data being backedup ?

-have you activated AOFO for this backup?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Evald_Nielsen
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

BE is 10.1 version 5629.

Data is ordinary files and the 'System Volumes Information' - selection is active.

AOFO is not activated.

Best Regards

Evald N.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you using the same selection list for synthetic backup?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Evald_Nielsen
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

Yes, the same selection list is being used by the baseline, the incremental and the synthetic backup.

Best regards

Evald N

Evald_Nielsen
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

If there are no more comments to this problem, where can I go next in order to solve the problem?

Best regards

Evald N.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Try running the baseline,incremental and synthetic all on 3 different backup to disk and then verify the result.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.