cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic backups and Unix agents

Brian_Boguhn
Level 2
Should I be able to do synthetic backups against Unix agents?

I have a Unix agent with Remote Agent 5520 installed. I'm running BUExec 10.0 5520 on my server. If I do normal backups against the Unix agent, either full or just selecting random directories, I can backup without issue. However, if I create a synthetic backup policy and then run the baseline, the Unix agent won't backup. The job states it is running, but it simply sits there at 0 bytes backed up. I can let it sit for a very long time and it will never backup anything.

So, this brings me back to the original question, as to whether I should be able to do synthetic backups against the Unix agent. I know I can back the Unix agent up; I've done enough testing to confirm that. It appears to me that the synthetics won't work with Unix, but I'd like some sort of verification of that.

Thanks.
Brian
5 REPLIES 5

Brian_Boguhn
Level 2
According to this link, synthetic backups can indeed be run against Unix agents, as long as the remote agent is installed (and in my case it is): http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/276382.htm

So, now I'm left with not knowing why I can run normal backups against my Unix client, but anything that has to do with a synthetic backup (baseline, incremental, synthetic full) will not backup my Unix client.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Brian_Boguhn
Level 2
OK, I really don't know what to make of this. I created synthetic jobs for my Unix agent again, kicked off the job, and after an hour and a half of sitting there saying 0 bytes, it suddenly starts backing up data.

???

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

When the Synthetic backup job for Unix sits idle for long time, does it give any alert or any message in Alerts tab or in event logs.

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Brian_Boguhn
Level 2
No, it does not.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Brian

Will you run SGmon.exe while you fire the synthetic backup?
Please set all the check boxes in the SGmon Window.
Tell us what you observe in the Sgmon.log file?

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.