cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System State Restore hangs computer on restart

Chris_Randall_2
Level 2
Hello.

When I try and perform a restore of our system state the restore seems to run correctly but when I do the restart it hangs at the progress bar when Windows is starting. I have tried to do the restore in Directory Services Restore mode, I have tried to perform a non-authorative and an authorative restore, I have followed all the steps in many different articles I have found and I am still no further ahead then when I started. The machine I am restoring to is an identical machine. This is our server and I am needing to get it back up and running ASAP as I have already been down for 2 days. I am at a complete loss as to what to do to get it to work other than manually recreating all my user accounts and hopefully using Exmerge to import in the restored mailboxes. If anyone knows of any thing I can do to avoid this step please let me know as soon as possible. I would much rather do this via my backup tapes than recreate my entire domain structure. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi Chris,

1. What OS is this?
2. Did you install the latest service pack BEFORE restoring your system state?
3. Did you restore your C: aswell as the system state?

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please update so that we can continue further troubleshooting.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.