cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System account won't log in to all Dell GX60 XP PCs with remote agents

Danny_Satterlee
Level 3
BE 10.0, XP PCs have SP2 and are Dell GX60 machines, latest BIOS updates are present, Windows updates are up to date. ADBO license purchased and synthetic backup template being used.

The tricky part here is that some machines accept the system account login, some don't. We have approx. 400 clients that are mixed XP and 2000. The 2000 machines are fine, as are the majority of the XP machines. About 30% of the XP machines are not allowing the system account to authenticate.

I've tried local accounts as well. None have the ability to access the machine. Other programs (PCAnywhere, Altiris), no issue. I've tried uninstall and reinstall of the remote agent.

Any thoughts and advice is welcomed...
3 REPLIES 3

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

In order to isolate the issue, please refer to the following technotes:

- Important information regarding Backup Exec for Windows Servers and Windows XP Service Pack 2 http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270139.htm

With the introduction of Service Pack 2, Microsoft has enabled the Windows XP firewall, and made it an integral part of the operating system.
To allow the VERITAS Backup Exec Remote Agent to send and receive data, it must be added to the list of Exceptions for the Windows XP Firewall.

To add the Remote Agent to the Exceptions list, perform the following:

1. Open the Control Panel by clicking on Start > My Computer > Control Panel.
2. Double Click on Network Connections.
3. Right click on the connection for the network card, and choose Properties. (By default this will be Local Area Connection 1) 4. Click the Advanced tab.
5. Click the Settings button under Windows Firewall.
6. Click the General tab.
7. Verify that Don't Allow Exceptions is not selected.
8. Click the Exceptions tab.
9. Click the Add Program button.
10. Click the Browse button.
11. Browse to the default location of C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\RANT, and select BEREMOTE.EXE. Then click Open.
11. Click OK.
12. Verify that BEREMOTE has a check mark next to it.
13. Click OK to close the Windows Firewall Settings.
14. Click OK to close the Local Area Connection Properties.
You should now be able to successfully backup a Windows XP Workstation running Service Pack 2.

Create a new user in the XP machine, give administrative rights to the user. Create a new logon account for the same user on the Backup Exec server. Verify the results.

We hope to have answered your query.

Thanks.

Danny_Satterl1
Level 2
Nope, that's not it either. I created (yet another) admin account (vbackup) and followed the instructions given. I'm still receiving the error "Logon account 'System Logon Account' failed to access 'SERVER-NAME'. The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed."

Please advise.

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
In order to troubleshoot the problem, kindly refer the following technote link.

Title:- How to create a System Logon Account in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274012.htm

Title:- The error "Your default logon account could not be authenticated" is displayed when attempting to create new jobs or edit existing ones in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258988.htm

We hope this helps. Let us know if the problem still exists and revert back with the error message.