cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking over a server and having problems with Backup exec 11d starting

kmoravec
Level 2
Last month the system admin at a law firm quit and did not leave any instructions.
The backups look like they had not been running successfully since 2/25/2010

I am currently having a problem that the system services do not seem to be running.

I rebooted the 2003 Small Business server to see if that would fix the problem and it did not.

I got to the "Backup Exec Services Manager" and tried to restart the services and  got a bunch of messages.

Starting Backup Exec Server on CTSVR1. Error starting the service Backup Exec Server on CTSVR1. The dependency service or group failed to start. Starting Backup Exec Job Engine on CTSVR1. Error starting the service Backup Exec Job Engine on CTSVR1. The dependency service or group failed to start. Starting Backup Exec Agent Browser on CTSVR1. Error starting the service Backup Exec Agent Browser on CTSVR1. The dependency service or group failed to start. Starting Backup Exec DLO Administration Service on CTSVR1. Error starting the service Backup Exec DLO Administration Service on CTSVR1. The dependency service or group failed to start. Starting Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service on CTSVR1. The service Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service has been started on CTSVR1. Start services on server CTSVR1 completed. Processing services completed! Processing services Stop services on server: CTSVR1 Stopping Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service on CTSVR1. The service Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service has been stopped on CTSVR1. Stopping Backup Exec DLO Administration Service on CTSVR1. The service Backup Exec DLO Administration Service on CTSVR1 is already stopped. Stopping Backup Exec Agent Browser on CTSVR1. The service Backup Exec Agent Browser on CTSVR1 is already stopped. Stopping Backup Exec Job Engine on CTSVR1. The service Backup Exec Job Engine on CTSVR1 is already stopped. Stopping Backup Exec Server on CTSVR1. The service Backup Exec Server on CTSVR1 is already stopped. Stopping Backup Exec Device & Media Service on CTSVR1. The service Backup Exec Device & Media Service on CTSVR1 is already stopped. Stopping Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers on CTSVR1. The service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers has been stopped on CTSVR1. Start services on server: CTSVR1 Starting Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers on CTSVR1. The service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers has been started on CTSVR1. Starting Backup Exec Device & Media Service on CTSVR1. Error starting the service Backup Exec Device & Media Service on CTSVR1. The dependency service or group failed to start.

When the services will not start I do not know what to do.

Also I can not find the installation disks.

Kip

8 REPLIES 8

kmoravec
Level 2

Processing services

Stop services on server: CTSVR1
Stopping Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service on CTSVR1.
The service Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service has been stopped on CTSVR1.
Stopping Backup Exec DLO Administration Service on CTSVR1.
The service Backup Exec DLO Administration Service on CTSVR1 is already stopped.
Stopping Backup Exec Agent Browser on CTSVR1.
The service Backup Exec Agent Browser on CTSVR1 is already stopped.
Stopping Backup Exec Job Engine on CTSVR1.
The service Backup Exec Job Engine on CTSVR1 is already stopped.
Stopping Backup Exec Server on CTSVR1.
The service Backup Exec Server on CTSVR1 is already stopped.
Stopping Backup Exec Device & Media Service on CTSVR1.
The service Backup Exec Device & Media Service on CTSVR1 is already stopped.
Stopping Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers on CTSVR1.
The service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers has been stopped on CTSVR1.
Start services on server: CTSVR1
Starting Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers on CTSVR1.
The service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers has been started on CTSVR1.
Starting Backup Exec Device & Media Service on CTSVR1.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Device & Media Service on CTSVR1.
The dependency service or group failed to start.
Starting Backup Exec Server on CTSVR1.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Server on CTSVR1.
Starting Backup Exec Job Engine on CTSVR1.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Job Engine on CTSVR1.
Starting Backup Exec Agent Browser on CTSVR1.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Agent Browser on CTSVR1.
Starting Backup Exec DLO Administration Service on CTSVR1.
Error starting the service Backup Exec DLO Administration Service on CTSVR1.
Starting Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service on CTSVR1.
The service Backup Exec DLO Maintenance Service has been started on CTSVR1.
Start services on server CTSVR1 completed.

Processing services completed!

kmoravec
Level 2

Over 5 hours with no response, tells me there is not many people that can help. It looks like I have to find another solution for backups instead of Backup Exec.

GDaddy
Level 3
Sounds like a permission thing.  It was probably installed with a dif username.  Go to services, right click on each of them and change the log on info.  Hope that helps.

kmoravec
Level 2
I went into the services, checked the Properties.

Some were set to Login as: Local System Account

Some were lset to Login as : Administrator

I reset them all to Administrator, -- Same error.

I reset them all to Local System Account -- Same error.

Seems to not make a difference.

Thanks for the try.

Kip

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Use the WIndows Events Viewer and check what are the errors that occur when the services start up.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
If you look in Services.msc, which services don't start up?

Furthermore, download the installation for Backup Exec 11D here...

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=30140

If you don't have licenses, you will have to call Symantec and get them emailed through.

...and then lastly, download the latest SP (SP5) here...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/340466.htm

Install it, and then try again.

I have seen services not start up if the SQL service for Backup Exec doesn't start up. This is normally caused by a domain username/local username being used instead of the Local System account. Something else to check out...

GDaddy
Level 3
I was pretty sure that permissions thing would have done it.  I've had the same problem before and it was afer an upgrade to 2010.  I had to reset all the permissions on the services and it worked again.  After you changed the logon info did you try to restart each of the services?  Are you using copy/paste for the password info?

I would:
Go back in the logs to see what happened on 2/25/2010 and the day before.  What messages came up?  Is that when the previous person left?  When they upgraded?  installed a patch?  Changed passwords?

Reinstall/update/repair install your backup exec installation.  Of course you'll have to reboot a couple of times.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Any news here...?