cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Backup from Backup to Disk Folder

ZEUSv
Level 2

Hello,

i have a question and bevore i bother the Symantec Support i want to ask the wise community.I imagine that there is a solution for my case.

Sooo, we have Symantec Backup Exec 15 on a Win 2008 R2 Server.

Its all fine and we are happy with Symantec. Now we plan a new backup concept.

My Case:

We backup 5 Lotus Domino Servers to backup to disk (works so far).

We also backup 4 other normal Servers to disk. Just folders with files, no Database or AD.

Then we have some files on our Backup Server from robocopy jobs.

Now we want to backup the Lotus Domino Servers, 2 of the 4 normal servers and the robocopy files to tape. We only have one tape (LTO6) and notape library.

Cause of the restriction that you only can have one backup to disk folder on one partition, all the server backups are in one folder.

Is it possible? If yes, how?

i am helpless :(

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You'd need to add a duplicate-to-tape stage after your jobs complete for your main B2D jobs. This will automatically duplicate those files to tape and keep the catalogs intact. You need to do this as just a straight backup would render your restores from tape almost null and void.

You might want to then create a backup job for the Robocopy files to run first and set the Append/OPP settings correctly to allow the D2T job to run properly.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You'd need to add a duplicate-to-tape stage after your jobs complete for your main B2D jobs. This will automatically duplicate those files to tape and keep the catalogs intact. You need to do this as just a straight backup would render your restores from tape almost null and void.

You might want to then create a backup job for the Robocopy files to run first and set the Append/OPP settings correctly to allow the D2T job to run properly.

Thanks!

ZEUSv
Level 2

i repeat your proposal in my own words to check if i realy understand you ;)

What i make:

1 Backup to Disk job with:

• my 5 Domino Servers
  • the 2 'normal' Servers i want to add to Tape

Then i add a duplicate to tape stage after this backup to disk job. So these 7 servers will get on my tape. So far its simple.

1 Backup to Disk job with:

• the other 2 'normal' Servers i dont want to include to the tape backup

But i dont understand what i need to do with my robocopy files. One bad soultion would be to copy the robocopy files with the first backup to disk job of my (5) Domino and (2) normal servers.

That would cause dramaticly much more GB consumption cause i would have the robocopy files (500GB) twice on my HDD.

Or did you mean

1 Backup to Tape job with:

• my robocopy files
  • then i leave the tape inside the tapedrive
  • parallel the Backup to Disk job with my 5 Domino and 2 normal servers is working
  • when the Backup to Disk job is done the Disk to Tape job will start and write on the same tape which is still in the tapedrive with my robocopy files

Did you mean this? Would this work?