cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape problem -- Blank Media

Harry_Sach
Level 3
Hello, since upgrading to 10 I have had at least one tape a week dying on me. What happens is, during a backup job an error that shows an I/O problem while writing to the media occurs. The job will fail and the tape will now show that it is Blank Media. The tape is obviously not Blank Media since it has several jobs on it. I talked to Veritas support and they weren't able to help me out. I have changed nothing since the upgrade from 9 to 10. The only thing that could be different is the driver for my tape library, I am using Veritas' driver because that is what they recommended. Not sure if I was using HP's driver while I was on 9. Even so, I can't figure out why the tapes show up as Blank after a job failure. Even after inventorying them they show up as blank. Now the problem is, I have to restore a couple of files from a job that is on one of the Blank Tapes and I can't. Has anyone experienced this with 10? Thanks for any help.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds an awful lot like one of the early versions of v7.2

For that one, the only solution was apply a patch and re-label the tapes. What was on them was gone.

You could try this

stop backup exec services
rename the \catalogs dir to \catalogs.sav
create a ne \catalogs dir
start backupexec
inventory
catalog making sure that "use media based catalogs" is NOT checked.

if that doesn't work, you are probabaly SOLMessage was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Harry_Sach
Level 3
Just last night on a different tape library device that I use to back up my Exchange server, one of the tapes is now missing it's label. It is being recognized as DLT000005. The tape still shows that it has data on it, but the label is now gone. This is a different drive than the tapes that are showing up as Blank Media after a failed job. I don't get it, nothing has changed except for the upgrade to 10 from 9. Right now I am still using the evaluation version of 10, but with all of these problems I might have to put a hold on the purchase order to buy all of my upgrade licenses. This is rediculous, I've been using Veritas for the last 6 years and haven't had these types of problems.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Have you installed the latest Veritas device drivers?
You can install them using following link:-

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275676.htm

Are you receiving event id's 7, 9, 11 or 15?
You can refer the following document:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q154690

-- Also updtae the SCSI drivers and the firmware of the device.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.