cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapes become write-protected, cannot backup

nghitd
Level 4

Hi Symantec Community,

I am facing tape write-protected issue, highly appreciated for your help.

My system is Windows Server 2008 STD R2 SP1, with Symantec Backup Exec 2012, updated to SP3. License active and maintenance. Tape drive is HP Ultrium LTO-5.

It works normally untill last week, then issue happen such like this: "The media is write-protected, cannot backup".

I have read many threads relate to this one, and tried all: Check physical lock switch on tape; Check driver Symantec apply to tape drive; Check overwrite period; Untick tape sequence on Catalog; Move tape to Scratch media set...

However it seems no luck, all fail. Now i suspect tape drive hardware fault and plan to replace by new tape drive.

Before i doing it, anyone here have the advice for me?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

nghitd

10 REPLIES 10

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is this affecting all tapes or specific ones ? If specific ones, are these new tapes ? One reason could be if the tapes are not compatible with the tape drive and hence get marked as read-only.

If you suspect an issue with the tape drive itself, review the event viewer's system logs for any hardware related events and/or consider running vendor diagnostics against the tape drive before going in for a replacement.

Sush---
Level 6

Hello nghitd,

From all the description above it does looks to be hardware issue. It would be supporting if you can run the HP Test tool software to test the hardware and confirm that it is hardware failure.

Also is this happening on all the tapes used???

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Associate one of the tapes with the scratch media set. This will make it overwritable. If your job still cannot find an overwritable tape then it is a hardware problem

Sush---
Level 6

Hello PKH,

Check physical lock switch on tape; Check driver Symantec apply to tape drive; Check overwrite period; Untick tape sequence on Catalog; Move tape to Scratch media set...

OP has already mentioned that he has performed that step.

Regards,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

"HP Test tool" = HP Library and Tape Tools (HP LTT)...there would be a number of tools HP has that can be used to test a number of hardware...

Thanks!

nghitd
Level 4

Hi Community,

Thanks so much for your quick help.

I'd like to update more information:

-I had tested with HP Library and Tape Tools (HP LTT), it showed Tape drive with "red X symbol", instead of "blue" as device supported.

-All old tapes became write-protected (with red X symbol on pen of Media tape show on Storage), then i checked backup with 03 brand-new tapes, then it got fail with 02 tapes (same as old tapes), successful with 01 tape.

-Actually i was faced the same incident with this case: it was not stable backup, almost fail, and sometimes successful with new tape. Then i replaced tape drive, it worked normally.

I think it is hardware fault, so far.

Regards,

nghitd

Sush---
Level 6

So thats the confirmation with  HP Library and Tape Tools (HP LTT) too that its hardware issue.

Regards,

-Sush...

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi nghitd,

In your tape there is one button is there if it is open mode you will write the data in your media, If it's closed you cann't. 

- vicky

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The OP already said this, "Check physical lock switch on tape" in the original post

nghitd
Level 4

Hi Community,

Thank you for you advice.

Today after LTO replacement by the new one, issue has been solved. It backup normally now.

We could close this incident here.

Regards,

nghitd