cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapes not displaying

CraigS
Not applicable
We are currently using BE 10d with SP3 freshly applied to try and resolve this issue.
Everything was working fine until one day when despite the fact a tape is inserted in the backup device (HP StorageWorks Ultirum 448) be is unable to see the tape.
Have tried various fixes but the only one that works is to then restart the device and media service which causes the tape to display correctly (I know this restarts the server serivce and the job engine service aswell but if you just restart these two the tape still doesn't display).
This is fine until the tape is ejected and either the same or a different tape is inserted (tried even a brand new tape) when BE is unable to see the tape in the device again- unless I restart the service.
When the tape is in the drive I can however use an eject job to eject the tape.
As part of my troubleshooting I rdp'd in to a different site to look at the be configuration on that site- I opened be and went to the device tab, no tape displayed called the IT guy who confirmed the tape is in the drive. Have tried a few tests but it seems I have the same problem again but elsewhere
The initial problem seemed to happen after I had rdp'd to the server for the first time (so a possible link) but the rdp connections have been made from different computers
Any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When you change a tape in a drive or slot, you need to inventory it to let Backup Exec know that a change has been made

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
What Ken says!
Inventorying a drive reads what media is in the drive. Until this is done, BE won't register any changes you've made.