cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target did not respond in time for a scsi request

darfen
Level 3

Hi,

I encountering problem with my backup exec 12.5. The inventory job can't seems to run. The job status is alway pending as queued after starting inventory job. Backup is running as per normal. Tried restarting services but get the below error message under alerts.

"Target did not respond in time for a SCSI request. The CDB is given in the dump data."

Can someone please advise on how to narrow down the problem? Tried restart the server and tape library in the right sequence but problem still persist. I'm using Dell TL4000 tape library.

Thanks in advance.

darfen

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the event viewer the device must have generated event Id 9.

Install latest drivers and update firmware of the controller.

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126454

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I'd start by making sure your SCSI card hasn't failed. If your server has any management webpage, check it out there...chances are good that it is either the SCSI card, cable, or the drive itself!

darfen
Level 3

Hi Amol,

This error does not appear in event viewer. The latest driver has been installed.

Hi CriagV

My backup job are still running fine. Could the problem be caused by hardware and connection?

CraigV

...that's weird, but it could be pointing to something that is potentially failing.

...have you turned the drive off, and then on again and maybe restarted the server?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
  1. Shutdown the Backup Server
  2. Shutdown the Tape Device.
  3. Wait for a minute, and check the SCSI cable in case if it is loosened.
  4. Now restart the tape device.
  5. After the tape device is started, start the Backup Server.

The sequence should not be altered. And start backup server only after tape device is started.

Might this would help you

darfen
Level 3

Yes i did. I waited for the tape drive to initialise before starting the server. I have been troubleshooting this problem for days but to no avail.

darfen
Level 3

Hi RahulG,

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what i did. Follow the exact sequence.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried running the Dell diagnostic utility against the tape library?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Upgrade robot firmware . If there is any old SCSI card which is not in use , try disabling it and see if this help

CraigV

...I'd rather update the firmware on the SCSI card first to be honest. Otherwise pkh is correct in asking you to check for a Dell utility to run against the drive.

The other thing to look at is any Hard Write Errors under the Devices tab, and clicking the drive...this could indicate possible hardware issues.