cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test notifications OK, but no real notifications

Hank
Level 3
Partner
I have Backup Exec 12.5 on Windows 2008 server running Exchange.

I am using the SMTP on the Exchange server. Test notifications send fine, but any real notifications, e.g., jobs completing or failing, do not work.

I have configured these in my jobs and in the Alerts tab, assigning the approriate situations to people who should get alerts via email.

What am I missing?

12 REPLIES 12

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Have you considered trying MAPI notifications? All you would need to get this configured is Outlook Client on the Backup Exec server. Also, has it worked anytime for you? Do you see any mail in the Exchange server SMTP queue?

Thanks

Hank
Level 3
Partner
and install Outlook on the server. SMTP seems much simpler.

I don't think has ever worked on this new installation of BE. I don't see anything in queues.

Again, what baffles me is why test notifications work but actual notifications do not.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Is there any difference in time zone of the BE server and the exchange server?

Thanks

David_Grayston
Level 4
Are permissions required for sending messages on your Exchange server? It might be an issue of when you test your credentials are being used but when a job related messsage goes out it would be in the context of the account setup for the Backup Exec Service.

Hank
Level 3
Partner
Both the Exchange and the BE are installed on the same server, so there should be no time zone discrepency.

Yes, permissions are required for sending email through Exchange. I have specified username and password in the SMTP configuration window in BE, and I assume it uses these credentials for all SMTP activity, whether for testing or for real. Where else should I check for another set of credentials?

David_Grayston
Level 4
When you test send successfully vs. BE attempting to send one difference is that you are logged in doing the test...whereas when BE sends its doing it within the context of the account you've specified for the BE service.

Not the credentials you've saved for the SMTP. Are you using a local service account or domain account for BE?

As a test can you login to your server with the BE service account credentials(if a domain account) and successfully do a test email?

buddypepper
Level 3
I'm having a heck of a time getting this working too - the test email works fine...I've even gotten it to send out notifications for a couple of days, but then it stopped (no changes to the SMTP server or anything - it just stopped).

Is there some sort of log file I can look at to see the log of the smtp session (if there is indeed one) according to BE? When it stops working, I don't see it in my mailserver logs...so it's pretty hard to troubleshoot.

buddypepper
Level 3
I'm having a heck of a time getting this working too - the test email works fine...I've even gotten it to send out notifications for a couple of days, but then it stopped (no changes to the SMTP server or anything - it just stopped).

Is there some sort of log file I can look at to see the log of the smtp session (if there is indeed one) according to BE? When it stops working, I don't see it in my mailserver logs...so it's pretty hard to troubleshoot.

buddypepper
Level 3

buddypepper
Level 3

Anyone?? Why is it that this software that costs $1000+ can't even send out an email reliably?

David_Grayston
Level 4
Did you review the Windows (are you on Windows platform?) Event logs. Often failures sending will appear in either the Application or System logs. Does the Test send always work?  Also confirm that your job is set to notify - I've often seen where editing an existing job unchecks the notify - so I always dbl-check before applying changes

buddypepper
Level 3
I've looked at all of the logs available, yes....I've since found a workaround (which proves that it's BE having some weird issue)....If I restart the BE services each night, I get my notifications just fine. Hopefully this will be solved in some hotfix sometime - but in the meantime, I've got a scheduled task set up to handle this so it's no big deal to me now, since's it's effectively working.