cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding

Connexus
Level 2
Running Backup Exec 9.1 for windows build 4691 on a windows 2003 server is suddenly having problems doing a correct backup.
The only error we are receiving since a few days is:

Backup XXXX -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

in the application log the following event is logged:
**SNAP**
EVENTID: 1004

Reporting queued error: faulting application bengine.exe, version 9.1.4691.18, faulting module bengine.exe, version 9.1.4691.18, fault address 0x000a9555.
**SNAP**

Can someone help me on this one ?
Thank you.
16 REPLIES 16

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,

I suggest you to perform repair of the Backup Exec database.
Follow the steps below to repair the Backup Exec database:

1. Open BEUTILITY (C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT)

2. Add the Media server a. Right click on All Media Servers and choose "Add Media Server"

3. Right click on the media server and stop the services .

4. In C:\Program Files\VERITAS\BACKUP Exec\NT\Data copy the BEDB_DAT.MDF

5. In BEUTILITY Right click on the media server name and choose "Repair Database"

After completion of Repair Database process, try un-installing the drivers.

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Could be a database problem.

Harald_Bratko
Level 3
We had the same problem a few months ago. We made incremental backups of our Windows servers each day together with a weekly full backup. For our incremental backups we used the option "INCREMENTAL - Using modified time". This option was the reason of our problems, because every second time an incremental job started, the job engine crashed down. An example: Server A was fully backuped on Sunday, and incremental from Monday till Saturday. On Monday the incremental job finished successfully, whereas on Tuesday the job engine crashed. After restarting the service, the job performed well on Wednesday, however, on Thursday the engine crashed again and so on. It was very difficult to find out this, because we are running a lot of different jobs and this behavior is true to all of them. We think that this is definitely a bug in the Veritas software. We are now using option "FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit" for full backups of our Windows servers and "INCREMENTAL - Changed Files - Reset Archive Bit." for the incremental ones and have no problems with the job engine anymore.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6

> is definitely a bug in the Veritas software. We are
> now using option "FULL - Back Up Files - Reset
> Archive Bit
" for full backups of our Windows
> servers and "INCREMENTAL - Changed Files -
> Reset Archive Bit
." for the incremental ones
> and have no problems with the job engine
> anymore.

What if you use "INCREMENTAL - Changed Files." Do you still have that problem ?

Regards
A van der Boom

Harald_Bratko
Level 3
There is no option "INCREMENTAL - Changed Files" - there is only the option "INCREMENTAL - Changed Files - Reset Archive Bit" which we are using to avoid problems.
Or do you mean "DIFFERENTIAL - Changed Files"? - I don't know, if this option causes problems, and - you must apologize - I don't want to try it because our backup know works properly and I'm worried about what would happen if we try another option :(
So - just for completeness - I report the options we are using:
Windows full backup: "FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit"
Windows incremental backup:"INCREMENTAL - Changed Files - Reset Archive Bit
Unix and Linux full backup: "COPY - Back Up Files"
Unix and Linux incremental backup:"DAILY - Files that Changed Today"
And we have deactivated the "Enable single instance
backup for NTFS
" for all our jobs.

Connexus
Level 2
First of all, thanks for all the responses.

Now for the facts:
We only do a full backup (reset archive bit).
There are no incremental jobs.

I have done the repair database and will see tomorrow if it works, though I doubt it will work.

I also saw the Job engine service was crashed and I wonder if that isn't the problem.
It is strange though, the backup ran for weeks without any error and suddenly it crashes every day.

I'll keep you all posted on any progress.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Hi,

I also have the same problem, amongst other things

Doing full backups to disk and then a duplicate to tape"full- Backup files - reset archive bit"
Doing differentials to disk and then a duplicate to tape "differential - changed files"

The major issue with me is the random JOB_NO_SELECTIONS error when performing duplicate jobs and with it came the issue that the job engine service crashes randomly.
Already repaired the database to no avail, when advised by the Veritas helpdesk to use a new database it does not seem to work. I stille see my normal jobs when I use "Drop existing database and reload from base" while it shoud give me a clean database with no jobs at all. I send my findings to the Veritas helpdesk and now are waiting for their answer.

This is all taking place on Windows2003

Regards
A van der Boom

Connexus
Level 2
Hello,

The rapair databse did not work.
I found another post simular to this problem.
Many people report it but Veritas remains quite silent on this subject.
the post:
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=38008&start=15&tstart=0

I am still having the problem and backups keep failing.
The error remains quite the same.

in the job log the error this night was:
Backup - \\<>
The media operation was terminated by the user.
Error reading file data.

And the back-up timed out on max length too, though the backup has 9 hours to finish, which was more then enough (the backup took about 2 hours when it still worked).

The other post also shows many unstatisfied users. One even posts that the solution to the problem is using NTBackup... which of course is a workaround ;-).

But then again... still no backup and it seems nobody really has the answer to it...
what to do ? delete the whole program and start from scratch ? If that is the case I will not be pleased...

keep you all posted.

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

Please download and install Microsoft Component Checker and update all the files to the latest MDAC version. You could download and install the latest MDAC version from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&displaylang=en

We also suggest you to repair the Backup Exec installation. Refer the following technote for the same:

NOTE:You have performed the database repair.This will be backup exec installation repair.

Technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

Hope this helps. If you require further help, or your query remains unresolved please feel free to contact us.

-We also suggest you to install and apply Backup exec Service Pack 1 from the following link,

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267180.htm

Aalok_Pathak_2
Level 6
Hope, issue is resolved.

Matt_Meyer
Level 2
I am having the same problem.
Description:
Faulting application bengine.exe, version 9.1.4691.42, faulting module BeCatSrv.dll, version 9.1.4691.36, fault address 0x00056594.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Has this issue been resolved yet?

Matt

Michael_Hanscho
Level 2
Have the same problem with

Faulting application bengine.exe, version 9.1.4691.42, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.0, fault address 0x000109b5

in the event log.

Backup Jobs did not finish, starting application "Veritas Backup Exec" popup windows says beengine.exe crashed...

To fix this i installed all fixes from veritas, started "repair installation" and at least checked the mdac components.
This showed that there were 3 files

msxml3.dll
sqlsrv32.dll
odbcbcp.dll

newer than expected.
Expected:
msxml3.dll 8.40.9419.0
sqlsrv32.dll 3.85.1022
odbcbcp.dll 3.85.1022

installed were:
msxml3.dll 8.50.2162.0
sqlsrv32.dll 3.85.1025
odbcbcp.dll 3.85.1025

After restoring them from the windows 2003 cd the errors vanished.

But how can this happen? Does veritas test their products with Windows updates?

The mdac 3 sp5 seems to make the sytem unusable...

Not applicable
I'm having the same problem after running fine for months. I have recreated the job, etc. The last two backup logs stated the job failed with error a00081d9. I have no additional info in the Event log other than the service is not responding. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Level 2
Recently I had a similar issue with the Job Engine, and it was because a corrupted "Selection List". Just rebuilding it and making the job again was enought. The strange was that nothing alerted me about it, no error, no log, no debug was talking about problems accessing the selection list. But it was impossible to open it. You can test it creating a new job with just one small local file.

Matt_Meyer
Level 2
That's a good suggestion, but for us, this seems to happen around 10-10:30pm. It doesn't matter which backup job it is. We have multiple systems that backup to hard drive. I don't want to have to redo the Selection List for each of these backup Jobs. How did you narrow it down to just one backup job? or is that all you have?

--Matt

Level 2
I have recreated the job and had the same result. Checked MDAC components-2.8, yesterday I ran the Repair utility. I will find out this morning if the job ran normally. Unable to see any errors other than the job engine stops responding.