Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding

Mark_Jones
Not applicable
Partner
I get the following error when a backup job runs:

The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

The Event Application log shows this:
Event ID: 34113
The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
7 REPLIES 7

Peter_Ludwig
Level 6
Restart the services (services icon close to the right lower corner of the GUI)

Unfortunately the services seem to be less stabel as tehy had been with previous versions....

greetings
Peter

Wolfgang_Bruchh
Level 4
I noticed this on a Media server as well, quite often.

I stopped all BE Services.
Renamed CATALOGS into CATALOGS-old.
Started BE Services.
Confirmed that a new CATALOGS Folder was created (empty folder).
Stopped BE Services.
Deleted CATALOGS Folder
Renamed CATALOGS-old back to CATALOGS.
Started BE Services.
That fixed the problem. Works now since two weeks without an issue. There is an article about this....somwhere.
BTW: This re-indexing of the Catalog is helpful for some other issues as well.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

If an active media request is not responded to and the job is canceled by the user or by automatic cancellation this will cause the Backup Exec Job Engine to terminate. If the service is not set to automatically restart the following next backup will fail with "A00081d9 - The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding."
To prevent this error from occurring try the following steps:
1. Increase the cancellation time or uncheck "Enable automatic cancellation" for the backup.
2. Set the Backup Exec Job Engine Service to restart after it stops.
3. Schedule an Inventory job to run before the backup job runs.
4. Verify that you have enough media to complete the backup job.

If the issue remains unresolved please repair the BE database.

Please refer the following technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Wolfgang_Bruchh
Level 4
Hi, still getting those errors (each second day) and my previous suggestions to fix don't work on 10.1 Rev.5629 .
Cancellation time is set to 10h for a 3h job. So there is enough overhead.
I set Restart to Job Engine & BE Server Services. Additionally I checked the option "Inventory all drives on Backup Exec services startup."
But whenever bengine.exe fails I see in the Job Status "Communication Stalled". After 5 minutes, job gets canceled (Canceled (by user Recovery)). Very Annoying.

System Log shows:
The Backup Exec Job Engine service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Application log shows:
Backup Exec Alert: Device Error
(Server: "BE-Media Server") (Job: "Remote Server-SYNTHETIC") The drive hardware is offline!

Please confirm that the drive hardware is powered on and properly cabled.
I'm running B2D - The disks are online, this is just caused by faulty BENGINE.exe

and

Backup Exec Alert: Job Cancellation
(Server: "BE-Media Server") (Job: "Remote Server -SYNTHETIC") The job was canceled by user Recovery.

What is wrong with Backup Exec? Please fix the Engine!

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What is the event id of the job engine related error? Have you configured backup exec to respond to alerts?

If the issue persists, try a backup exec database repair as per the steps below:

How to run a Backup Exec database repair when the original Backup Exec database is found to be inconsistent
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180

Revert if the problem persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Wolfgang_Bruchh
Level 4
Hello,
in the meantime I did a fresh reinstallation of BE (Prior it was an update from 10.0 to 10.1). Since that install everything works well again.
However, when I saw the problems as described earlier in my posts, I manually repaired DB as you recommended. During the repair process I didn't get noticed about aby issue at DB. So it looked that there were no errors. I did this several times but it didn't fix the bengine.exe crashes.
As said, the only fix was deinstall BE. Run a fresh, new install and recreate all B2D folders all selection lists, policies and backups (Synthetic Backups ).

Kind Regards
Wolfgang

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Backup Exec job engine stops even after reinstalling Backup Exec?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.