cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This installation package is not supported by the IA64 processor type

Mark_Coffey
Level 3
I bought 10d back in Oct 2006 with the plan to upgrade our 8.5. When I discovered that I needed remote agents to backup even the remote shares on other machines, I stopped and reverted back to 8.5.

So with my brand new copy sitting on a shelf for over 4 months, I bought a new server and decided that I would use v10d to backup that server up to a new drive unit. Imagine my horror when I got this message.

Now I find out that I can't use it because symantec decided that instead of fixing 10 they would go straight to 11. I have spent over �600 on this stupid software that I can't even use! I am so annoyed. The only solution symantec can offer me is that I should not have bought the box software in the first place and suggest that I go and get a new license.
5 REPLIES 5

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
IA64 has never been a supported architecture for the media server with BE10d.
Could you run 32 bit windows on your new server? Then BE would be compatible with it.

Mark_Coffey
Level 3
The Packaging says "for Windows Servers". The system Requirements state "Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Server Family". There is no warning that x64 are not supported. I just want my money back or a reasonably priced upgrade to 11d. The upgrade price is only �100 cheaper than a new product.

John_Baker_2
Level 2
I am in the same situation as this.

I am amazed that it doesn't support 64 bit CPUs. How long have they been out for?

Looks like I will have to upgrade the software. Yeah good suggestion downgrade to a 32 bit OS.....rolleyes....sigh

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
64 bit CPUs have been out for a while, but 64 bit Windows was only released in April 2005 (http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/apr05/04-25Winx64LaunchPR.mspx). BE 10 was released in January 2005, so predates it. As BE11 was the first major version to be released after Windows x64, so it makes sense that it's the first to be supported.
Yes it sucks if you're a customer who's bought Windows x64, but that's the way it is.

maverickrock
Not applicable
Then why would the so called "environmental check" stage pass with green ticks all over it...
If 10d does not work on 64 bit machines, the environmental check should fail.. atleast that is what a client would assume..

Cheers..