cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To fully protect Windows Server 2003, you must select Shadow Copy Component

Guy_Soudant
Level 2
Hi,

I'm having a problem with Backup Exec. Every time I run a full backup, I get the following error:

Job ended: 07 October 2005 at 11:01:02 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa000fefc - To fully protect Windows Server 2003, you must select Shadow Copy Components for backup.

Final error category: Resource Errors

Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Backup - ServerName1
To fully protect Windows Server 2003, you must select Shadow Copy Components for backup.

To fully protect Windows Server 2003, you must select Shadow Copy Components for backup.
Backup - ServerName2

Both servers are Windows 2003 Domain Controllers

I've searched the knowledge base for information on this topic, but all I can find is that the software version of Backup Exec on the Media Server is not the same as the agent on the server I want to backup. I checked this, and both versions are the same: Backup Exec Server for Windows, Version 9.1 REV 4691 (Both Media Server, Administrative Console, and the agent).
I've deleted all backup jobs and selections and created them again, just to make sure I was not using any old selections, and I've selected the Shadow Copy Components in the selection list (also selecting the system state underneath the shadow copy components as I need a backup of the system state).

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Many thanks
Guy
4 REPLIES 4

Peter_Olofsson
Level 4
Windows 2003 uses two services to handle Shadow Copies:
Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider
and
Volume Shadow Copy

Please check the status of these two services. Their Startup Type should be set to Manual.

Also check the Event Viewer for eventual error messages.

See this MS KB article for info on how to enable the VSS debugging feature: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887013

Also check out the Windows 2003 command line tool: vssadmin.exe

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

You have mentioned that you selected the Shadow copy components for backup. Make sure it is done as per the steps in the following technote:

Title: "To fully protect Windows Server 2003, you must select Shadow Copy Components for backup" (a000fefc HEX, e000fefc HEX, a0009419 HEX or e0009419 HEX) is reported during a backup after upgrading Backup Exec media servers or remote servers to Windows Server 2003.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/258950

Do not merely select the system state under shadow copy components, but select the entire shadow copy components for backup and test the results. You can additionally check out the steps in the previous reply.
If the issue persists, revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Guy_Soudant
Level 2
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

Peter, thanks for your reply. Please give me some time to try these things out. I will post the outcome.

Priya: I activated the shadow copy features exactly as listed in the kb you refer to. If I, however, select shadow copy components, I automatically select system state and service state. So I assume this is OK.

I followed all directions from the kb/forums, but it keeps on failing. I will check the recommendations Peter gave me and post the results on the forum

Thanks
Guy

Guy_Soudant
Level 2
Hi,

Due to a crash of the backup server, I had to re-install Veritas. I created all the jobs, and last night the backup ran without any errors. Strange but true. I did split all seperate servers into different jobs, which I didn't do previously, but this was the planned approach anyway. So everything seems to work OK now.

Thanks for your assistance

Regards
Guy