cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble controlling Robotic Tape Library with Backup Exec v.9.0 on Win2k

SamuraiNigel
Level 3
We're having trouble getting Backup Exec to control a newly connected robotic tape library, and I was wondering if you may be able to help.

We've been successfully using Backup Exec v.9.0 for Windows to run network backups of the laptops in our office for over a year now. Up until this point, we've been backing our data up to a 2.0TB internal RAID5 array in the backup machine. We also have been running another piece of backup software to backup various servers to removable tape media via another machine in the office. It has become desirable to get rid of the old software we were using to control the robotic library that the tape drive is mounted in and solely use Backup Exec to control all of our office backups.

We have a Qualstar TLS-6110 robotic library with a Quantum DLT8000 DLT-IV tape drive mounted in it. We've attached the robot via a SCSI cable connected to a SCSI PCI card. I downloaded and ran the robotic library driver file to install the drivers for the robot and the tape drive. When I run Backup Exec, and go to the DEVICES tab, it shows "QUALSTAR 1"under robotic libraries, "QUANTUM 1" beneath that as a tape device and "Slots" below that. When I check the properties for the robotic library and the tape drive, both are correctly identified in every way I can see.

The problem occurs when I attempt to do anything with the robot. If I try to issue commands such as "inventory" or "scan", nothing happens. A job starts and I can see it in the job monitor, but the robot never responds to the command. I've tried different SCSI IDs for both the tape drive and the robot, and that hasn't helped. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, multiple disconnects and reconnects, removal of the devices from the Backup Exec software (and re-detection) and most recently I attempted to run through the Backup Exec installation on the CD to attempt to "Disable and Re-install the devices" as per Step II of SUPPORT DOCUMENT ID: 237047.

Nothing at all seems to work. Do you have any ideas why Backup Exec would be able to correctly identify the tape drive and the robotic library, yet be unable to issue them any commands?

Thank you in advance.Message was edited by:
SamuraiNigel
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you current on firmware and drivers for the SCSI card, the Library and the Tape device?

Have you tried Manufacturer drivers rather than Veritas Drivers?

Does the library manufacturer provide any diagnostics that you can run?

SamuraiNigel
Level 3
All firmware and drivers are up to date. I've tried both the drivers from Windows and the drivers from Veritas (though Veritas, while saying it supports the TLS 6000 series, never seems to install drivers in the Windows Device Manager.)

The library manufacturer doesn't provide any diagnostic tools that I can find, but I'll contact them to see if they have something that's not on their website.

Any other ideas?

SamuraiNigel
Level 3
I should say that I did get the robot to do its "initialize" using the command sent from Backup Exec. I right-clicked on the robot library in the device list in Backup Exec, and clicked "initialize." It did the same "initialize" as I would do with the physical control panel on the front of the robot. I'm still unable to do an inventory, however.

Aalok_Pathak_2
Level 6
Update to latest build of Backup Exec 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 :

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264658.htm

# BEWS 9.1 is a free downloadable upgrade inclusive of previously installed
agents and options from Backup Exec 9.0 for Windows Servers agents and
options.

# Update all agents/options on all remote systems.

Now, install latest Veritas device drivers :

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/273853.htm

Take a new media and then try to perform an Inventory operation.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered"and would be moved to "answered questions"pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.