cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tru64 agent software for Backup Exec 9.1

Mike_Nemmers
Level 2
I am wondering if anyone knows if Tru64 is supported, I checked one compatibility matrix, but Tru64 (version 5.1B) is not listed, actually no version of Tru64 is there. Is it unsupported ?? I may need to find other software since at this point it would be easier for me to switch backup software than it would be to port the application to another unix variant.
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
AFAIK, BackupExec is strictly a Windows Application. v7.x, v8.0 and 8.5 supported NT/W2K running on Alpha chips, but even that has been dropped with v8.6, BE has never been a *nix product.

Netbackup does support Tru64. See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263839.htm

Mike_Nemmers
Level 2
Kevin - thanks for the reply. Looks like that would be the product for me. I was at a user group meeting last week that was going over NetBackup's new release 6, do you know of any way of finding out if Tru64 support will be continued on into this new version ? I check the compatibiliy matrices for Netbackup, and nothing there referenced the release 6 at all.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Whether or not it is supported, if you can do a Samba share from the Tru64 machine, you can back it up from a Windows machine running Veritas.

Whether that's suitable depends on your environment.

Mike_Nemmers
Level 2
Josh - thanks, your info is true, and would work in some cases, but I don't think I want to send our production database files across a Samba (or NFS) mount for backup. Probably not suitable for our env, I'll keep digging.....

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Dunno, I've never actually used NetBackup, but I would assume so (I know, I know what assume means )

And I guess I completely misread your original post I thought you were talking about installing BackupExec on Tru64, not just a client

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hi,

You can very well check in the compatibility list of Backup Exec 9.1 version. The 64Agent is not supported by Backup Exec 9.1 version.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/261695

And moreover since this is a Forum especially meant for Backup Exec queries and posts, it would be appreciated if only things related to Backup Exec are discussed.

Please write to us if you have further queries related to Backup Exec.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions"pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
let's see -

11 days ago the Original Poster says he checked the Compatibility List and didn't see any support for Tru64.

Two people respond (other uses, not Veritas employees) saying that indeed Tru64 is not supported by BackupExec but is supported by NetBackup, and also that setting up Samba shares would allow backup of data off Tru64.

There are no posts to this thread for 10 days.

Then today you say please limit this forum to discussion of BackupExec only?

Mike_Nemmers
Level 2
Nicely put.

Yes - my question is now answered, but I am now waiting over 10 days for Veritas Sales support to get back to me with the question as to whether or not the new Netbackup release 6 (oct-05) will continue to have Tru64 support.