Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Backup Jobs at the same time?is it possible

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Hi ,

Can i have two backup jobs .

One job is for 30 hours and other job is for only 20 mints.

Can i hold on first job for some mints and run the new job for 20 mints.

7 REPLIES 7

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You mean like pausing one job to let the second one run? No that is not possible. Are you backing up to tape or to disk? 

If you run B2D it is possible to let several jobs run at the same time. If you backup to disk thats only possible if you got multiple drives. It would be possible however to store your 20min backup temporarily in a B2D folder (even with the big job running at the same time) and then duplicate it to tape after the big job is finished.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Once started you can't hold a backup job for some time. 

If you have sufficient resources like no of drives, media then both can run paralelly. (If two drives in library then one LEO license also required.)

In ideas section, someone requested to include this feature in coming version. Vote there.

If more number of people agrees symantec may implement it in next versions. 

If you don't have enough resources consider running the small job before the one which will take 30 hours to complete. 

Regards....

StockholmGuy
Level 6

i have ony one drive .it means i cant hold one and complete other.

I think Symenatc should implement this functionality to make it smooth.

thanks

teiva-boy
Level 6

It's called a policy.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi teiva-boy,

I couldn't understand what you said. Can you please explain?

Thanks..

GRAYWOLF
Level 4

I assume that when you say "job" you mean policy. (I make this distinction because a policy is broken up in to smaller jobs). As I understand it, if you make the priority of the 20 min policy higher than the 30hr policy, the 30hr policy will hold between servers and allow the higher priority policy to run. This is not an immediate resloution, but it will do it if you have a window to work with.

Example:

30hr policy (1) backups Servers A, B

20min policy (2) backs up Server FF

Policy 1 is backing up Jobs "A Drive D:/" & "C Drive C:/"  (3 hr jobs)

Policy 2 gets queued.

When policy 1 completes Jobs "A Drive D:/" & "C Drive C:/" it will conceed the drive to Policy 2 until Policy 2 completes and then resume with the next job.

As others have said, you can not force it to pause, but if you can wait for an opening, it will do itself.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i have ony one drive .it means i cant hold one and complete other.

Yes, you can't hold the running job. Only thing you can do is adjusting the schedules accordingly. 

Here is the idea Feature to pass active jobs: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/feature-pause-active-jobs

Regards....