cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Keyboard does not work after XP is restored

michael_chan
Level 3
Hi Everyone,

My client purchased a new E520 from Dell. It is a Pentium D with 1 GB memory. Since his old home computer (Dell Dimension 3000 - P4 2.0 GHz with 512 MB) has Windows XP Professional SP1 with Backup Exec 9.1 rev 4691 SP3, I figured we could just restore his OS to the new Pentium D machine.

The restore worked as far as I can tell since it boots up to the Windows logon screen. However, since the new dell workstations does not have PS ports like the Dimension 3000 for the mouse and keyboard, I had to use a USB keyboard and mouse. When I get to the logon screen, the keyboard and mouse does not work so I can't log into the machine to allow XP to recognize the USB keyboard and mouse. I've already tried unplugging the USB keyboard and mouse and switching both to different ports with no success.

Now, I know the computer is not frozen because when I press the power button, XP displays "Shutting Down" on the screen and then follows by shutting down the machine.

FYI, since the old machine has a different NIC, most likely the NIC driver on the new machine did not load yet so I can not access it through the network.

FYI: I've done this exact procedure for migrating Windows server 2003 with Backup Exec 9.1 Rev 4691 SP3 on a uniprocessor server to a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with two Dual Core Xeon processors and the procedure worked with no problems.

How in the world can I activate the USB keyboard or mouse so I can log onto the machine? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4

Richard_Gill
Level 2
Are the USB ports disabled in the BIOS?

michael_chan
Level 3
Yes, all 8 USB ports are enabled. When the boot up get to the OS selection screen, the keyboard still works and allows me to select the OS. Once I select the restored OS, the keyboard no longer works. Any suggestions? Dell not offering PS2 ports really stinks.

michael_chan
Level 3
Can anyone help me with this?

I narrowed down the problem to the Windows directory. If I restore everything but the Windows directory, the keyboard and mouse will be automatically detected and installed after a few seconds. If I restore everything including the Windows directory, it won't detect the k/m. If I restore everything except for the Windows directory first; boot up; and then restore the Windows directory, it won't boot.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Micheal,

Could you please update us on the issue?