cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS Exchange Backup

John_Veliss
Not applicable
I have 2 servers, one running win2k3 sbs premium - exchange not installed, the other server is win2k3 with exchange installed.

Can I use Backup Exec for SBS which is installed on my SBS box to backup exchange on the other box.

Exchange agent already installed on SBS box, but when I browse exchange server, I only see the shares, not exchange options ie mailbox & information store etc.

Do I need to have remote agent installed on exchange box ?
2 REPLIES 2

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
You can definitely backup the second server, and yes you will need to install the remote agent for the backup to work, however I'm not certain about Backing up Exchange. I think it will work since you're running the software on an SBS box which is correct, however while I haven't seen anything specifically stating as such there may be something strange with the SBS implementation of the Exchange agent to prevent remote backups.

Personally I'd imagine the Exchange will be the same as normal so it'll work, but best way to confirm is probably to give it a try.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi John,

No you cannot use the SBS licence or the remote agent to backup the Exchange server. You will need a separate Exchange licence for the Exchange server.

===========