cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Restore Oracle database from Backup.

NWDC
Not applicable

I run a successful backup of my Oracle database using the Agent and when I attempt to restore it to another server I get the following error message .....: e0001501 - The specified backup object was not found in Backup Exec catalogs.

Background .....I'm running Backup EXec 11d on a Windows 2003 Server. Oracle 10.2.03 is on both servers. Same path, same name, same credentials. The backup runs fine.

I backup to a tape device named Certance1 and attempt to restore from there to my other server using Oracle redirect.

Does anyone have any idea why this will not work ?

1 REPLY 1

Michael_Underwo
Level 3

Try running the restore from the RMAN prompt...

i.e. run {

allocate channel ch0 type 'SBT_TAPE';

restore controlfile from autobackup; (or whatever piece you're trying to restore)

}

You should see the problem RMAN is encountering.

If you were able to successfully restore the contolfile, most likely there is another problem restoring the data and RMAN is trying to restore previous backups and is running into the same error.  The job finally fails when RMAN can't find anymore of the backups listed in the control file in the BackupExec catalogs.  BE is only going to get the final error, and none of the errors in between.

Check your parameter file as well.  I had this problem when I had my db_create_file_dest parameter set.  RMAN was trying to restore the entire database to the path in this parameter and was running out of space.  I didn't realize this until I ran the restore manually as outlined above.

Hope that helps.