cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to backup SQL Express database

Fernando_Vinan-
Level 4
I am unable to backup my SQL Express databases (including BE own database). All I get in the job log is:

Backup- HOMER
V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "HOMER\PINNACLESYS".
Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).SQL Prepare for Freeze failed for snapshot.Backup- HOMER\PINNACLESYS The item HOMER\PINNACLESYS\master in use - skipped.The item HOMER\PINNACLESYS\model in use - skipped.The item HOMER\PINNACLESYS\msdb in use - skipped.The item HOMER\PINNACLESYS\PinnacleSys_GlobalContext in use - skipped.

I have also tried forcing just AOFO and that fails also.

I am running Windows 2003 Serivce Pack 2, BackupExec v11.0 Rev. 7170, Hotfixes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 12 (do not seem to any more available via LiveUpdate) and the database is running the latest SQL Express 2005 downloaded and applied last night from the MS website. This is all on the same server so no remote agent is involved and I am backing up to Backup2Disk folder on an external USB drive (normal backups of non-SQL files work just fine to the same drive).

Why is this happening? I have searched the forums and kb for the "V-79-57344-34110" but nothing turns up that is relevant (mainly a hotfix to Windows  2003 that was added as part of SP1 and I have SP2).

Message Edited by Fernando Vinan-Cano on 07-22-200701:55 AM

2 REPLIES 2

Lou_Buffetta
Level 5
Employee
Hi Fernando

Starting with Backup Exec (BEWS) 9.x, we decentralized the backup processing to the Remote Agents (RAWS). This means that even on the BEWS server, there is a remote agent which processes the data and hands it off the the Job Engine.

First thing to check - make sure you have the SQL license installed on your machine. AOFO does not backup open database files.

-- In BEWS go to the Tools menu
  -- Select "Backup Exec Diagnostics..."
  -- Select "Run Diagnostics" from the pop up window
  -- The report will appear in Notepad in a few minutes
  -- The installed serial numbers are reported at the top
  -- Make sure you have the SQL Agent license

If you have the SQL Agent license, then something is seriously wrong and this needs to be troubleshooted.

Search for the file "sqlvdi.dll." Once found register this dll with Windows then try the backup again. Do not use AOFO when backing up databases.

Fernando_Vinan-
Level 4
Hi Lou,

Ok, I now know what has gone wrong. The licence was fine btw.

BE is relying on a DLL that only comes with SQL 2000 - a search of my server for "sqlvdi.dll" found it under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80.bad\Tools\Binn", renamed to "80.bad" as it was left over from older installs of MSDE now all upgraded to SQL Express (under \90\).

To get over the problem, I copied the DLL to the "Symantec\Backup Exec" folder and then re-registered the DLL in there. I re-ran my test SQL backup, both my own database and the BackupExec database, and they both ran fine with no issues.

This begs the question "why is Backup Exec relying on DLLs which may not necessarily exist on the server"? I thought BE now came with SQL Express which doesn't have this dll? It was a while back that I installed Backup Exec, so maybe I upgraded the SQL to SQL Express. Either way it needs to either come with it's own version of the dll or not use it.

Thanks for the help btw. About time I had a decent response to a question on these forums - since Symatec took over it's not been very good. If you can fix the SMTP issue that I and many other people have reported, the product would be 100% for me,

Cheers,
Fernando