cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to backup to NAS nor local disc

johnnguyen
Level 3

Using BE 12.5, I used the wizard to create two backup-to-disk folders: a Netgear ReadyNAS NV (w/ latest firmware) and a local 1TB drive on the backup server.  I have tried backing up to the NetGear ReadyNAS (made part of my domain) as well as the local drive on the backup server.  It keeps stating "0xe0008703: online media not available" "media check status: failed" for both B2D folders.  I have verified that the server/credential has full access to the NAS as well as the local drive. 

Am I missing something?  There have been scuttlebutt about a patch that kills this function but this is unconfirmed.  I use LiveUpdate pretty regularly so my 12.5 is up to date.

Do I need to create backup files (media) first on the target devices?  If so, how do I do that?  Or am I missing something else?

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do I need to create backup files (media) first on the target devices? 

No, backupExec will create the BKF files as it needs to  (when overwriteable files are not available)

Hmm

Are these test jobs or actual jobs

According to several TechNotes, test jobs will fail until at least one real job has run to a newly created B2D device

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If it would have been only the NAS we could have thought of rights on it but if it is happening on the local disk then I suspect the issue with BE services.

Can you please check if all the services are running under the admin accoutn except remote agent which should be under local system account.

Also can you try creating the B2D on the other local drive(other than 1 TB if you have one) to isolate the issue is not with the disk itself.

Also for the NAS make sure you have put the BESA(backup exec system account) inthe NAS box to make it work

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do I need to create backup files (media) first on the target devices? 

No, backupExec will create the BKF files as it needs to  (when overwriteable files are not available)

Hmm

Are these test jobs or actual jobs

According to several TechNotes, test jobs will fail until at least one real job has run to a newly created B2D device

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In the Device tab, are the B2D folders online?  Even if they are, right-click on them and pause and unpause them before retrying your jobs.

johnnguyen
Level 3

Sazz, I have restarted all the services each time LiveUpdate patched BE.  As far as I can tell, all services have started successfully each time.

Thanks!

johnnguyen
Level 3

Tried this tonight.  I also tried to just actually run the jobs instead of just doing a test run.  The job is running now and humming along.  Thanks so much!!!!

johnnguyen
Level 3

Wow, Ken.  I just tried pkh's suggestion.  Then manually ran the job instead of a test job and it runs!  Its humming along fine now.

Thank you very much!!!!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi John,

Will you please close this off by marking the solution?

THanks!

johnnguyen
Level 3

I need to verify that the job ran successfully first.  I'll close this today if successful.  THNX.

johnnguyen
Level 3

Thanks all for the suggestions.  Things seem to be hummning along fine now.