Did you mean: 

Unable to catalog Disk based backups

Abed_S_
Level 4

Hi Fellows,

I have B2D data that I am trying to inventory and catalog on BE2012

the flow of the backup was:

1. GRT backup Exchange DAG data to disk attached on the BE server

2. Uplaod this backup set data to a storage on a cloud for Archiving, delete source data on BE server.

now when tryign to restore data from as :

1. download data from the cloud to the BE local storage

2. run Inventroy, get success status and see the inventored DB name in BackupSets. but the Catalog option is grayed out.

when trying to run the option 'inventory and catalog' , on the catalog log I see:

"No backup sets were found on the media with media label 'B2D000003' because the media is blank."

I am out of choises and dont know how to get the backup online to restore data

please assist..

Thanks

Abed

6 REPLIES 6

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified
If you browse the disk storage, do you see the IMG folders. That’s where GRT data for exchange would reside. You need to run an inventory and catalog by highlighting the disk storage.

Sure I can see the IMG On BE disk folder..thoug i v downloaded it to there..

browse.PNG

Then as you say I an Highlighing the Disk Storage, run Inventry and Catalog:

it success, but in logs of the catalog it logs:

No backup sets were found on the media with media label 'B2D000003' because the media is blank.

catalog.PNG

catalog-log.PNG

Gurvinder
This server that you are trying to restore, if it shows up in backup and restore, can you try to create a restore job by highlighting that server.

You can also perform a test backup of that same or another GRT resource just to compare and make sure you downloaded all the files that make up that GRT set.

In a GRT backup, the bkfs don’t have data. Look inside the IMG folder for backed up data ( they will reside in native format).

Hi Gur,

Sure i still doing same backups weekly, same files are created i v downloaded.

and you r right, just tryign to create a restore job and it shows data in selection pane but no size is shown. (for other restore i did with catalog first i could see teh size of teh mailboxes..)

anyway running the job now it starting to restore..hopefully it will be OK

Thanks- I will update

hi, update:

The restore job started (I am restoring to PST files 2 mailboxes of total ~350GB) and after about 10 hours of running it just stopped and failed on this error:

DAG-02.domain.local Restore 17 DB3 -- The job failed with the following error: A device-specific error occurred.

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe0d - A device-specific error occurred.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65037

i dont know if it a server performnace issue or a Limit in BE of count of PST files/size to restore..

anyway - I dont know if it complete all data to restore - as i can see the pst files on the destination server..

Gurvinder

Is there any device related event in event viewer during the restore failure time. Else you can also try to do a mailbox level restore to check if the error is seen in this case as well