cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to do a complete restore in Veritas 10

Arjan_Diepeveen
Level 3
Hi,

We've got 2 servers here, A and B. B is the new server and will be replacing A. Both are simple File and print servers.
In order to transfer the data, on the night of the replacement, a complete restore from the backup of server A should be put on server B. After a few tests, it's still not working.
After about a half hour and approximately 35 Gb, the restore stops with the following error message :

In the Job Completion Status;
- 0xe000fe30 - A Communications failure has occured

Errors;
- V-79-57344-65072 - Connection to the restore target has been lost.

When i click the link in the job log it refers to a problem regarding an exchange mapping but as said, its a simple file and print server, not an exchange server.

Server B (the new one) is a w2k3 server with backupexec V10 and server A (the old one) is W2K with backup exec V9.1

Hopefully someone knows an answer cause this problem is delaying our transfer from old to new.

Thanks in advance!

Arjan
24 REPLIES 24

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you are restoring data from server A to B, have you stopped all th eBackup Exec services (BE v10.0) except remote agent service on server B?
Have you installed the remote agent license on BE v9.1 server to restore to remote server B?

Please elaborate the steps which you have followed to restore to server B.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Arjan_Diepeveen
Level 3
Thanks for your reply! I'm not using the remote agent when restoring, i just put the tape of server A into B's tapeunit and restore from there. So there's no need for the remote agent.
Could that be where the problem is, is there something i should do when using a tape of another server created with another version of backup exec?

To be clear : The tape used to restore is created on server A with BE v9.1 and the tape is put in server B and restore is trying to be done with BE v10.0

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Are you performing inventory and catalog operation on the tape before starting the restore operation on Server B ?

What is the data that you are trying to restore ?

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Arjan_Diepeveen
Level 3
Hi,

I've performed an inventory and catalog operation with every tape used.

The data being backup up consists primarily out of userfiles such as profiles, word doc's, powerpoint doc's and so on. So nothing out of the ordinary i think.

Kind Regards

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Try the following steps:

1. Check that the remote agent service is running under Local system account. If not, make it run using the local system account.
2. From the tab tools- options, select the option 'Use any network available interface' and run the job.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, revert with details on the steps performed.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Even though you are performing the restore from Server B, This is still a redirected restore of Server A's data. Can you confirm that some (you said about 35GB of data before the job fails) is being restored to server B?

Does you backup of Server A use more than one tape? Can you confirm from the catalog job of the tapes on Server B that all of the tapes in the set are correct: Go to Restore tab (from Server B), highlight the selection you're trying to restore. Right-mouse click and choose properties, and click the media tab, and verify the same tape labels appear as when you perform the same operation from Server A

Arjan_Diepeveen
Level 3
Hi,

1. I've checked the remote agent service and it is running under the local system account.
2. the option "Use any network available interface" was already checked so no changes necessary there either.

Here are the detailed steps of what i'm trying to do :

1. I create a Full Backup with BE 9.1 on server A on the local tapedrive in server A

2. I put the tape into the local tapeunit of server B.

3. I start a restore in BE 10.0 on server B. I only want to restore the DATA (D:) drive of server A to the D: drive on server B so i only select the D: drive.

4. Use any available interface is enabled and redirection is set to the local D: Drive on server B. Restore over existing files is set and also preserve tree and security

5. I start the restore.

6. After restoring about 35 GB it stops with the error message : Final error: 0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.

And below Error it says : Restore- \\AMSFILE3\D: DataV-79-57344-65072 - Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation canceled.

AMSFILE3 is server B.

I hope this gives you enough information, if not, let me know

Arjan_Diepeveen
Level 3
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your options but i've checked everything you said but i can't see any inconsistencies in the tape labels and i've tried several different tapes.

Regards.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Would you say the restore fails at approximately the same point each time?

Could you attempt a restore of some data that you know is past this point- for example, if Server A has 100 GB of home directories, and your restore fails at 35GB, then the restore probably fails in the "E" - "G" range (alphabetically speaking). Attempt a restore of some data in the "Z" range, near the end of the backup set. Does this test restore to Server B work?

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please check if there are any alerts during the restore. Go to tools>options>job logs and select the first option, to include the resume information only.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Arjan_Diepeveen
Level 3
Ray,

I've tried this already, instead of the complete D-drive i've tried just the homedir's and also just the groupdir's but every single time it stops at the same point, with the same error message at around 35 Gb.

Arjan_Diepeveen
Level 3
The alerts that occure during the restore are the ones i already mentioned in the beginning of this thread and the option resume information only was already selected.

I followed the link you gave and i'm downloading the upgrade from 5484 to 5520 at the moment. I'll let you know when it's finished and installed if it helps in any way.
Thanks!

Arjan_Diepeveen
Level 3
I've installed version 5520 and tried a couple of restore's but still the same errors occur. The only thing different is the fact that they occur at a later moment. At about 68 GB and a little over an hour of restoring. I noticed a couple of other things though :

The Remote Agent Service stops,

Couple of entries in eventviewer :

EVENTID : 4097
The application, C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\beremote.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 08/11/2005 @ 17:22:50.916 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 00D66BBA (ndmpsrvr!NDMPDMainThreadFunc)

EVENTID : 1000
Faulting application beremote.exe, version 10.0.5520.0, faulting module ndmpsrvr.dll, version 10.0.5520.0, fault address 0x00073f41.

Maybe these could give a better idea of the problem?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Put the Backup exec for remote agent service in debug mode to further troubleshoot this issue.

Refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/254212

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Perry_van_Schen
Not applicable
Hi Arjan,

I was wondering if you still have this problem or is it resolved? Because i also have the same problem.

Thanks

Arjan_Diepeveen
Level 3
Hi Perry,

Unfortunately not, the problem still exists but at the moment i've got BE 9.1 installed which is working perfectly and i'm going to use this version for the moment because of the urgency to deploy this server.
After the deployment i will install a test server to look into the problem again but as said, at the moment i do not have any more time for investigating.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if we can mark this case as assumed answered for the moment.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Arjan_Diepeveen
Level 3
Hi,

Although my question isn't answered yet and the problem still exists, i won't be able to investigate the problem until i have a testserver setup so for the moment it's o.k. to mark it as assumed answered.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Regards.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Arjan,

Thank you for the update.

Regards