cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to execute pre- (or post-) batch files (v.11d 7170 SP3)

Donald_Moore
Level 2

I am running Backup Exec for Windows Servers on Windows Server 2003 SP-2; our email program is FirstClass. In order to do a backup without risking data corruption I need to pause the FirstClass mirror before the backup and then continue it after the backup is complete.

I have created batch files to perform both of these tasks, and they perform successfully when executed either from a DOS command line or from within Windows. So I know the batch files are written correctly.

But BEWS will sit there for however long the time limit is that I give it, trying to execute the pre-command batch file, and finally times out with this error:

Starting Pre Job Command < c:\pausetest.bat >
V-79-57344-33232 -
Error: Pre Job Command did not complete in time.

Now, I can extend the amount of time BEWS has before timing out, but I have done that and all it accomplishes is to make me wait even longer until the time has expired before I can try something else - the batch file NEVER gets executed by BEWS. Even though I have followed what sketchy instructions have been included with Backup Exec.  Apparently these instructions are not totally correct or complete.  And it doesn't help that the how-to documents on the Symantec website still use the name VERITAS and only go as far as version 9 or 10 of the product.  I can find NO up-to-date documentation covering versions 11 or 12, in any area even close to the functions I am trying to perform.

Does anyone have any experience in getting Backup Exec to execute pre-and post-backup batch files?  I am extremely anxious to learn how to do it!

The best part of it all is, Symantec doesn't want to help. The company I support is a Non-Profit Organization, and got their copy of Backup Exec through Tech Soup - apparently an OEM copy, and it came without any support. When I call Symantec they will not proceed past that fact; and the company is reluctant to spend more money on a prpoduct they already purchased, especially if it doesn't do what it is supposed to do.  So here I am in a Catch-22.

4 REPLIES 4

Lively
Level 5

You can try to post the text of the bat file here to see if anyone can help.  We have a pre/post bat file that run without any issues.  Ours just mounts drives to the Backup server before the first job, and disconnects the mounts afterwards.

The feature works, it may just be a syntax issue.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

As lively says, the best thing would be to post the contents of the file

One thing you can do to test it is logon to the console of the media server as the BackupExec service account ID and run the CMD file. 

Donald_Moore
Level 2

Pre- command: 

FCPAUSE.BAT

@echo off

D:

cd D:\FCServer

FCUtil pause

Post- command:

FCCONTINUE.BAT

@echo off

D:

cd D:\FCServer

FCUtil continue

------------------------

As for the BackupExec service account - I was under the impression that it was using the server's Admin ID as the default.  If I'm mistaken about that, I'd love to be set straight!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You should be able to check this from the Services snap-in.  Check start properties for all the BackupExec services