cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to extend Backup Exec Agent for VMWARE trial

jdowney
Level 3

Reference Case #'s 180910-001626 and 180809-001681

I had a 30 day trial extender for Backup Exec 16 Agent for VMWARE that I was able to ran while attempting to get a PO generated to purchase the version 16 license for the VMware agent.  We own the application, database, and agent for windows for Backup Exec 16, but the trial version is once again expiring.

I get an email that jobs are failing:

The job failed with the following error: The trial period for one or more agents or options has expired. You must enter a serial number to continue. See the Errors section in the job log for more details. 

However, when I view the active licenses from the software it currently shows that we have 1 day of 30 remaining on the trial for the VMware agent.

It does appear that data is still being written to tape for virtual backup jobs, at least for now.  However, after this evenining's backup job I am thinking that 1 day remaining will turn to 0 and jobs will actually stop working.

I was given 3 total trial extenders.  A 30 day, which I have ran.  Then I got 2 additional 60 day trial extender EvExtend.exe files, but I am not able to run them, like I did the first time, due to the following error: "backup exec is not in trial mode.  Trial periods for any agents or options have not expired."

I need to be able to extend the trial at least once more as I have production critical backup jobs relying on this each night.  Furthermore, I am having some issues internally getting approval for the purchase of this license, and I need just a little more time to work through those budgeting issues so we can go ahead and proceed with the purchase of the full backup exec agent for Vmware.

Please help me asap extend this trial one more time so my jobs nightly and full backup jobs can continue to run while I work on getting approval for the purchase of the permanent license.

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You need to contact the Veritas Licensing department for this matter

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I agree with PKH about contacting your reseller / licensing however please be aware that extenders can usually ONLY be used once in a given environment and as such you may need valid licenses instead of trying to use trialware.

jdowney
Level 3

Well, I'm pretty much screwed. Our VAR provided a possible registry hack to extend / restart a trial involving adding a GRDA dword value in the registry that was for version 20.x, but I'm running 16.x. Either way it didn't work. There does not seem to be any solution to this. We will need to migrate merge hosts and wait until we can purchase the license(s). Meanwhile, I'm going to have to change all of my backup jobs to Windows Agent based backups. Although, not all my jobs are for windows servers. If I have 5 EXSi hosts within 1 Vcenter, I'm assumaing I will need to purchase a license for each host. Therefore, I am going to have to migrate servers and limit my hosts.

Does anyone else have any possible solutions for me to get the trial to start over again until I can do all that other work and get the PO generated / approved?!?!?!?!?!? PLEASE HELP!

nothing?