cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open the Item,Job was skipped.What could be the possible reasons?

StockholmGuy
Level 6

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The file could be in used.  Turn on AOFO.

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You should at least include some further information like the exact error message and the kind of data you are backing up..

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is that the exact error message?

I believe it's not job was skipped, may be the item skipped.

Some files will be locked by operating system and BE will not backup those (Eg: Event viewer files, cache files etc...). Details of those skipped files will be placed in the job log. 

Regards......

StockholmGuy
Level 6

There is not any eror code. Just Unable to open the error.

These are Database files of almost 500 GB each.

3 files between 400 to 600 GB sizes and all are skipped.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

OK, so is the job itself skipped, or are those 3 files skipped? If you're trying to back up flat files like SQL DBs or Exchange Information Stores, Backup exec's Active File Exclusion feature is going to kick in and prevent you from backing them up...using AOFO won't matter in this case. It's not going to be possible to do online backups at all.

There are only 2 ways around this:

1. Purchase the required application agent to do online backups and restores. In this case you can then deselect the flat files...

2. Take your application offline via a script and incur downtime during the backup, and then remount the databases once backed up.

i'd go for Option #1 though due to the flexibility of using the agent for backups/restores.

thanks!

StockholmGuy
Level 6

I have license and these files are being backed up from a windows file server  and i have remote agent for windows.

I think the files were open during backup job starts so that these were skipped.

CraigV

If you're using an agent application then you don't need to use AOFO...the agent takes care of that.

Check your selection list and make sure you're not including the flat-files.

Lastly, what are the file extensions of these files...?

StockholmGuy
Level 6

File Extentionn is    0000123343.bak

Flat Files,i didnt Understand??

CraigV

Flat files are anything like an Exchange *.edb, or SQL *.mdb. That's a flat file.

What utilizes those *.bak files? Unless you enable AOFO in your job, chances are that you won't be able to back them up. You can also exclude them, but I reckon BE might already be doing that!

StockholmGuy
Level 6

These are backup files from sql databases.

That i need to backup on the tapes.

CraigV

If you already have the Agent for Microsoft SQL installed, is there any reason why you want to back up the backup files again?

The agent takes care of that!