cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to perfom tape inventory Job status: No idle devices are available

Tfaraj
Level 4

Hi,

I have a robotic machine with two heads(1,3).

A job was running on head 1 until it gets "Queued" because the media tape becomes full.
I tried to insert a new media tape, but I couldn't perform inventory (No idle devices are available) although head 3 is idle.

Can you please assist how to solve this issue.

Thanks,

Tarek Faraj

16 REPLIES 16

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

How many drives in the library? Do you have Library Expansion Option licenses for every drive after the first one (the first is covered by BE!)? If not, this could explain why you can't inventory.

That said...have you created an import job, which would be required to pull a tape in from a mail slot into the library, to make it ready for use?

You can also check the TN below for further troubleshooting:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24414

Thanks!

Tfaraj
Level 4

The robotic machine has two heads with two drives, library expansion license is valid, actually it use to work with me before, but I don't know what happen.

Thanks

CraigV

...and you're using the Symantec drivers?

I'd also recommend that you run the vendor diagnostic utility to see if there are any hardware issues with that library/drive.

Thanks!

Tfaraj
Level 4

Okay. ... But head 3 status is showing "Ready" and head 1 still in use and waiting for new media tape.

How to connect a slot to a certain drive ?

Thank you,

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You are probably experiencing this behavior - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH162820

Tfaraj
Level 4

thanks, but to  how to perform inventory the tapes at the library level ?
is this means from the The library tape machine?

Tfaraj
Level 4

Is there any way to inventory the tape on Drive 3 (head 3) without cancel the queued job on Drive 1 (head1) ?

Thank you

CraigV

...unless you have partitions, or the same symptom as provided in the TN from the Symantec employee, then there is no reason for the 2nd drive not to be used.

Can you run 2 backups at the same time? 1 to each drive?

Thanks!

Tfaraj
Level 4

Yes, i have two backup jobs that run at the same time on daily basis 1 job to each drive.
This is the first time I'm experiencing such problem, it use to work smoothly

Thanks 

CraigV

OK, so the LEO license isn't an issue and the 2nd drive works physically too.

Can you detail the following:

1. Do you have partitions?

2. How are you trying to use a new tape? By importing it, or is there an available tape in the library?

Thanks!

Tfaraj
Level 4

I have 1 solt per partition, I was trying to insert new tape and perform inventory on the IDLE drive (drive 3) , after that I want to move it to appropriate slot and job will continue automatically this is how it used to work with me.

Thank you

CraigV

Aha...now it's clear.

When you do this on a hardware level, Backup Exec is not aware of the tape being placed into the drive.

You need to put it into a slot and then Inventory/Scan (if you have bar codes on the tapes) that slot which will work, or consider creating an import job. You need to define a mail slot on the library first.

Thanks!

EDIT: Check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO22757#id-SF700169669

Tfaraj
Level 4

Exactly, I already have a tape into a slot but when I submit for inventory the job status shows : No idle devices available, it should go to drive 3 which has ready, I , wondering why it is not working :(
and i dont want to cancel the job

Again thanks for your help 

CraigV

...can you post a screenshot of your library config from within BE?

Thanks!

Tfaraj
Level 4

Here you are thank you,

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have 1 solt per partition

If you have one slot per partition and the tape is full, then you need to cancel the job.  There is no way to introduce another tape for the job.  Even if you managed to succeed in do an inventory, you would need to place the tape in another slot which means another partition.  BE will not take a tape from another partition.

You have to make sure that you have sufficient overwritable tapes BEFORE the start of the job.