cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore Exchange mailboxes with old DAG name

fishizza1
Level 2

I am attempting to restore a few mailboxes for Exchange 2010 from Backup Exec 2010.  The exchange backup is from a year ago and at that time the DAG was named DAG01.company.local.  For various reasons we have renamed our production DAG to DAG03.company.local.

When i try to run the restore job, under resource credentials i see the path to DAG01.company.local when testing the credentials.  The test fails saying a "communications failure has occured"  I am guessing this is because DAG01 no longer exists in our infrastructure.

My question then is how can I restore an exchange backup where the DAG name is no longer the same as the production one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

That is correct... When restoring to a RDB you are unable to Granularly restore. Its all or nothing. You can however restore just the selected mailboxes and redirect them to the New DAG name

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...is this just doing a normal restore, or have you tried a redirected restore?

Thanks!

fishizza1
Level 2

I have tried a redirecting restore to a recoveryDB i created

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Fishizza, 

You said that youre trying to restore a few mailboxes.... If so this may be your issue... When restoring to a Recovery DB you need to restore the database, or attempt the redirected restore and target the new DAG name... I dont believe that you are able to just restore selected mailboxes.

fishizza1
Level 2

Is it that you can't restore individual mailboxes to a recovery DB?  We enable GRT on exchange backups for the purpose of just restoring what we need.  I was hoping to avoid restoring the whole DB due to its size

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

That is correct... When restoring to a RDB you are unable to Granularly restore. Its all or nothing. You can however restore just the selected mailboxes and redirect them to the New DAG name

fishizza1
Level 2

OK, thanks.  I'll give that a try.  I like the idea of restoring to a different DB just to avoid doing anything on production but mounting the entire DB for just a couple mailboxes doesn't make a lot of sense.