cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore Individual mailboxes using Backup Exec 11d

Rob_Frilling
Level 2
We are using 11d to backup an Exchange 2003 mailstore. The mailstore backs up successfully but when you try to run a restore only about 1/2 of the mailboxes show up within the restore selections. I read a KB article about correcting the CN naming in active directory for these accounts. I did this but the same problem occurs. Does anyone have any other thoughts on this?

Thanks,
6 REPLIES 6

bboerst
Level 4
I had lots of issues with the individual mailbox feature after installing Hotfixes 3,4,5.  I uninstalled them and everything was back to being fine.  Might be worth a shot if you recently installed these...

Rob_Frilling
Level 2
I removed the suggested Hotfixes but it unfortunately did not remove the problem. The size of the mailstore on tape is the correct size. I know that the entire store is being backed up but for some reason I cannot see half of the individual mailboxes when trying to run a restore... very weird!

Any other thoughts?

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Try running the job directly to a B2D or do a set copy (duplicate job) to B2D from your tape drive.  See if all yoru mailboxes show up then.

Rob_Frilling
Level 2
Sorry for the delayed response. My wife and I just had a new baby girl!

Anyway, I tried the BTD option and using this no individual mailboxes appear. The mailstore seems to backup. The byte count looks correct in the BTD folder. However, I can't see/restore individual mailboxes.

With the tape option I could see about half of the mailboxes. Something I noticed, we changed user names a few years back. Some of the mailboxes that I cannot see are users whom username and SMTP email address changed. I can see all new users created after this change. I'm not sure why this would matter.

Any ideas?

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
Changing names could have caused the legacy DN issue for you, check this technote:

Will_Salen
Level 3

My organization hosts e-mail for a few virtual domains.  Our e-mail address policies build addresses based on the client company name and the alias (example - alias@mycompany.com).  There are some users that have the same alias as others but are from different companies, hence having separate e-mail accounts and DN's.  A company should not need to change a user's alias (and resulting e-mail address) due to another user with the same alias in a different company.  Exchange automatically appends an integer to the alias to create the LegacyExchangeDN when there are duplicate aliases, therefore preventing duplicate LegacyExchangeDN attributes.  This creates a situation where the LegacyExchangeDN and alias are different.  Unfortunately, since Backup Exec has an issue with this, I cannot select any of these mailboxes for a restore.  Is there a planned hotfix to correct this?