cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore files from BE 9.1 backups

Carles_Viaplana
Level 4
Hello,

We're not able to perform restores from backups done under BE 9.1. We migrated BE 1 month ago and when we check catalogs from BE 9.1 backups we only see folders but there aren't files to select and restore.

Before migration we performed restores from these backups, so I supose problem is on catalogs instead backups and data stored on the tapes.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Carles

PS: I've Windows 2003 Standard edition and BackupExec 10 release 5484
4 REPLIES 4

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
Ok there's 2 things here.

1 - Do you truncate your catalogs? Truncating catalogs removes the file and directory details.

To find out go to "tools" on the menu bar, select "Options", go to "Catalog", is the "Truncate catalogs after" ticked?

2 - v10 has an issue with restoring data from earlier versions of backup exec. You'll have to upgrade to 10.1 (aka 10d), otherwise you'll receive an error with the selection list when you try to action the restore.

Carles_Viaplana
Level 4
Hello Simon,

Thanks for your help.

In fact, catalogs are truncated so I assume file and directory details are removed. But when I try to catalog tape I used for my backup I get an error about "selected tape isn't into tapes index and it couldn't be mounted" (I translated message from spanish to english).

About your second comment, should I update to 10.1 even I'm trying to perform a restore from BE 9.1 backup on BE 10? Is there any link with information about?

I'm going to search it into veritas support.

Thanks again and regards,

Carles

Simon_Armstrong
Level 6
You can try to run the restore without upgrading, however if you receive an error "unable to create selection list" then you'll need to upgrade. A few people have received this error, see the forum post below, it fixed it for this person:
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?forumID=103&threadID=54355&messageID=4399616∀

You can download v10.1 (10d) from the link below:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/279332.htm

Also, with the error you are receiving, you must run an inventory on every tape used for the backup you want to restore from. This will insert the media into Backup Exec's media database. Then you can run the catalog.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Do let us know if the steps suggested by Simon helped resolve your problem. If the problem persists, revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.