cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore from backup

Gary_Baxter
Level 3
I am having issues with restoring files from tape backups. When I run the restore, it finishes after about 15 minutes and says that the file has been restored successfully.

However, the byte count on the job is zero and the file has not been restored. Checking the jobs log file shows no errors.

I have tried re-cataloguing the tape, restoring the file to different locations and restoring a different file (in case there was a problem with the file I was trying to restore) but still nothing.

I'm running Bacup exec 9 for windows server on Windows 2000 Server SP4.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please follow the steps given below.

Stop all backup Exec services.
Rename the catalogs folder to Catalogs.old
In Backup Exec go to tools> options> catalog and uncheck the option use storage media based catalogs.

restart all Backup Exec services

Inventory and catalog the media and then perfrom a restore and verify results.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Gary_Baxter
Level 3
Thank you for the reply. I followed your instructions, but unfortunately it has had no effect. Still saying that the restore is successful but not restoring the file.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What typs of a file are you restoring? Was the backup successful? For the purpose of test, run another backup job and then take a restore.

If the issue persists, verify if you receive any error messages in the event logs or the backup exec alerts tab.

We alo suggest you to upgrade from Backup Exec v9.0 to Backup Exec v9.1. It addresses many issues and enhancements from an earlier versions and Build of Backup Exec v9.0. Refer the following technotes:

Title: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691.1 (Single .ZIP download)
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264658.htm

Title: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers General Information
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/262414.htm

Note: 1. BEWS 9.1 is a free downloadable upgrade inclusive of previously installed agents and options from Backup Exec 9.0 for Windows Servers agents and options.

2. Update all agents/options on all remote systems.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Gary_Baxter
Level 3
The file I was trying to restore was an excel spreadsheet. I checked the event logs in Bacup Exec and in event viewer, no errors shown.
Tried another file as well, still no joy.

Completed the update to 9.1 and rebooted the server. Now Device and Media service will not start, returns the error 2077, service hangs after trying to start (Source: Service Control Manager). Have tried teh solution of delaying the startup of this service, but again no luck.

Gary_Baxter
Level 3
Okay. Completely uninstalled Backup Exec. Reinstalled 8.6 and upgraded it to 9.0, or at least tried to. After rebooting the machine 9.0 is deleted an it reverts back to 8.6.

I am now at my wits end. PLEASE HELP!

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Gary,

Why do you upgrade from 8.6 to 9.x? Can you not install 9.x directly?

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gary_Baxter
Level 3
Thanks for the response.

Well, we have a licence for 9, but could not find the disk or don't have the disk. But we do have the 8.6 disk.

Anyway. Reinstalled backup exec from scratch again in a new directory and it appears to be working fine now.