cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore to SQL server

Russell_Kemp
Level 2
Hi there,

I am testing a new instalation of BE 10.

I have backed up an SQL server database. When I try to restore (without any redirection) the job fails on unable to access the server. The server name is TEST-SVR. When looking at the job report I can see that the restore job is trying to restore to a server called ST-SVR (missing the first two characters).

Anyone come across this before?
5 REPLIES 5

Russell_Kemp
Level 2
bengine: 10/05/05 11:39:40 ENGSCRPT: IN - oldDeviceName = TEST-SVR
bengine: 10/05/05 11:39:40 ENGSCRPT: OUT - newName = TEST-SVR
bengine: 10/05/05 11:39:57 ERROR: unknown host: ST-SVR, err=11001
bengine: 10/05/05 11:39:57 NDMPEngine::SetupNDMPConnection: ndmpConnect failed on server ST-SVR, port: 10000.
bengine: 10/05/05 11:39:57 NDMPEngine::SetupNDMPConnection: ndmpConnect failed: Could not find the machine ST-SVR on the network.

From SGmon if it helps at all?

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Can you perform backups of the SQL database of this particular server?

Please check out if the Port 10000 is open and listening. Ensure that no other application or process is using this
port. Run the TCPview Utility of the Sysinternals to check out if it is being used by any other application:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Russell_Kemp
Level 2
Hi,

Thanks for that. Yes, backup runs fine. It is just the restore process that fails.

I am able to telnet to the server on that port and get the usual response of characters. I had the same issue on our main SQL server so for testing purposes I tried it on our test sql server and had the same issue (using the same media server).

Thanks

R

Russell_Kemp
Level 2
Fixed the issue, well kind of.

Added the shortened server name in hosts file on the BE server. This now retores fine.

Bit of a bodge but a least it works.

David_Mosca
Not applicable
Hey,

I just hit the same problem after upgrading to BE 10d. Thanx for the workaround...

To Veritas/Symantec support guys: Is anything being done to find a proper fix for this?