Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to run backup to a large disk

Frode_slettum
Not applicable
Hi

We are actually running version BE 11d.

We are trying to backup files to a lagre disk which really is a SATA-raid with 10 sata disks with raid5. Windows sees this as a 4,3TB disk.

We are able to use the volume to create files and directories in explorer, but Backup Exec is unable to backup to this volume using backup-to-disk-folders. After initializing the job gets a "queued" status. If I do the same thing to c backup-to-disk-folder to the c-drive it works well.

Also tried to format the large volume to <2tb partitions, but still the same error.

Why can we use this drive to other things than BE, but BE can't? And how can we resolve this issue?

Best Regards
Frode Slettum
1 REPLY 1

Kevin_Nickson
Level 4
I'm doing essentially the same thing as you. I've found that having all partitions under 2Tb helps a little. I would delete your partitions and recreate them, making sure they are under 2Tb. You can then create B2D folders for each partition and add them all to a storage pool. Point your backups to the pool and BE should work OK.

My backups run, it's just that they are averaging about 270/Mbps. I NEVER have a successful backup within the 12 hour window I have. Also, make sure that when you setup the B2D folders, you change the "Maximum size for backup to disk files" to whatever your partition size is. If you don't, you'll end up with multiple 1Gb .BKF files. That will slow things down even more.