cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates change Alerts Bridge service account

David_Woodward
Level 3
I've noticed that any time I apply an update (be it a service pack or hotfix) the next time I restart the system the "Backup Exec Alerts Bridge" service fails to start with a login error. I have to reset the password for the service account each time I apply an update to prevent this problem.

Is this a known issue or is it a problem specific to my installation?

Thanks,
David Woodward
2 REPLIES 2

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What account are your backup exec services running under? Which is the service you are referring to? What happens when the service stops? What is the error message you get?

Do elaborate your answers to the above questions.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

David_Woodward
Level 3
OK, your first question was what account is the service running under. It's running under a domain account I created during setup for use with BackupExec and any related scripts. (See error message below)

Your second question was, which service I'm referring to.... hmmm... in my post I very clearly stated that it was the "Backup Exec Alerts Bridge" service.

Your third question was what happens when it stops... okaaay... once again, in my post I said that the problem is that IT DOESN'T START. So what do you mean what happens when it stops? Did you even read my post or are you just replying to messages as quickly as possible to meet some quota? I'd rather have no response at all than a response that makes me waste time repeating myself.

Your last question was, what is the error message. I'm including a copy of the system event log error message, but once again, in my post I said it was a login failure. This is a common system error generated when the account a service runs under is no longer valid for some reason. So, I didn't think clarification was necessary.

Here is the exact error message that is logged in the system log:

===================================

Event Type:Error
Event Source:Service Control Manager
Event Category:None
Event ID:7038
Date:10/2/2005
Time:1:56:35 AM
User:N/A
Computer:
Description:
The besakalert service was unable to log on as \ BackupSVC with the currently configured password due to the following error:
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

To ensure that the service is configured properly, use the Services snap-in in Microsoft Management Console (MMC).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

===================================

There is one thing I should clarify.

I don't actually reset the password on the service account itself. I just have to reset the password in the credentials used for the service. In other words, go to the service properties under the windows service mmc plugin, click on the "Log On" tab, and retype the password in the password fields.

--David Woodward