cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade / install - no connection to BEDB Database

BernhardBergman
Not applicable
Partner
First of all, sorry for possibly occuring mistakes in my English.

Now about the problem. The backup server is running Windows 2000 Server (german) with SP4 and the needed rollup for SP4. Beside the backup operation the server is the main SQL-Server (SQL 2000 SP4 english USA).

When we upgraded the BE from 9.0 to 11d the preinstallation check did only show the Active Directory Agent warning and a warning related to wmi with no further description, even on symantec web-site. So I decided to start installation / upgrade. The process completed successfully, but after an immediately following restart the Backup Exec services did not start except of the agent service. The error message in dbrecover.log showed OS error 80004005, which seems to mean database login error. So my first thought was that the upgrade of the database from MSDE to SQL Express was not successful. We removed BE completely an reinstalled with standard options and new database (SQL 2005 Express). After the necessary reboots the same error occured. The connection to the database should be clean, using odcad32 with integrated windows login i can connect to the SQL Express Master and BEDB, BEUtil can´t. The SQL Express logs only show BEDB is getting startet if a connection through ODBC is established, but never on BE service start or BEUtil consistency check. Last try was to deinstall the complete BE and SQL Express an install BE using the installed SQL2000. When selecting the local SQL-Server a message appears, that SQL network interfaces read from registry (something with xFFFFFF) cannot be used and the connection cannot be established.

To get Backup running again we installed BE 9 again with MSDE and had no errors.

It seems that the last shown error could also be the reason that BE11 cannot connect to the SQL Express instance, but i cannot find any reference to this error message.
1 REPLY 1

bingabong
Level 3
I'm having the same problem here trying to get a new install of BE12 to work. Have you had any success?