cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Exchange 2003; Do I need to re-install BE Agent for Exchange Servers!?

Vinay_S
Level 3
Hey guys,

I am doing an "in-place" upgrade of Exchange 2000 Enterprise to Exchange 2003 Enterprise in a few days; I will also be upgrading to Windows 2003 on the Exchange server.  We are using Backup Exec v 10.d.  Would I need to re-install the BE Agent for Exchange Servers after Exchange has been upgraded, or would it still continue to work as it is?

(I am new to this job and havent completely mastered Backep Exec yet; the server/s got handed down to me just about a month ago.  From what I have read in the BE Admin Guide, it seems the BE Agent for Exchange Servers is installed on both, the BE Media server and the Exchange server.  Correct !?)

Thanks for your help!

Message Edited by Vinay S on 10-16-2007 07:21 AM
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The serial for the Exchange "Agent" is installed on the media server, but there is nothing on the Exchange Server itself.  However, you will need to be sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the Exchange server, or the media server will not connect to it at all

If you will be upgrading the OS, and then Exchange, in place, there should be no need to re-install the Remote Agent

FWIW, I've always prefered to do upgrades by starting with a clean install of the OS,  then clean installs of all Apps, migrating settings and data as necessary.

Vinay_S
Level 3
Ken, Thanks for the info!  Thats helps.  The BE agent is currently installed on the Exchange server; I will make sure it is working the way it should after the upgrade.

Thanks,
VInay.