cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Windows Change Journal on Synthetic policies

AdamM
Level 4
I am testing Synthetic policies which are working great.  I would also like to use the Windows Change Journal, but have found myself in a catch-22.

Synthetic requires that both"incremental - Using archive bit" AND the "Collect Additional Information for Synthetic backup and true image restore" be selected. 

I also checked off the "Use the Microsoft Change Journal if available" selection.  In the documentation it says that when you check off this option while having "incremental - Using archive bit" also, then the archive bit is not cleared.  I confirmed that the volume I am backing up has Windows Change Journal enabled using the command "fsutil usn [queryjournal] VolumePathname".  Data was returned.

I ran my base Full job (that has all the same options as my incremental template (except to use "Full - reset archive bit").  The Archive bits are not reset because I have the "Use the Microsoft Change Journal if available" selected as well.

My problem is that the Incremental jobs don't seem to be using the Journaling because they are backing up all file with the Archive bit set.

The documentation also says that to use "Use the Microsoft Change Journal if available" you must select "Incremental (or Full ) - using modified time" but this is not allowed in a synthetic template.  The "Use the Microsoft Change Journal if available" does become available in the "Full - using archive bit" after you check off "Collect Additional Information for Synthetic backup and true image restore"

How can I use both a synthetic Template AND the Windows Change Journal?

Thank you.
1 REPLY 1

AdamM
Level 4
After some more testing I have discovered that the incrementals ARE using the Windows Change Journal, but also using the archive bit.  The problem is that the archive bit is NOT reset when you have the "Incrementa - Using archive bit" selected with the "Use Windows Journaling" option, so the same files get backed up every incremental!

I know it is using the Change journal because if I create a new file and clear the archive bit, then run the incremental, the file gets backed up.  When I run the incremental again without changing anything, the same file is NOT backed up (which is good).

So do I have to clear the archive bits manually????