cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using two autoloaders as one drive

Bernd_Maierhofe
Level 3
Using BE 10d on a Win2003 server. There are two HP autoloaders connected and working ok. For the timne being, there were two sets of backup jobs targeted two each of the autoloaders.

However, one of the jobs run out of space and needed one tape more, which would be available on the other autoloader.

So my question is: Is it possible to have two autoloaders cascaded?
I can create a new pool within the "cascaded drives", but fail to add my autoloaders.

TIA
Bernd
2 REPLIES 2

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Device pools can consist of standalone drives, drives in single or multiple drive robotic libraries, fixed backup-to-disk folders, and removable backup-to-disk devices. Creating drive pools overcomes the limitation that arises when using the same drives individually.

Note: Tape drives that are in a cascaded drive pool are not available to be placed in another device pool unless they are deleted from the cascaded drive pool first.

A drive pool is a collection of multiple tape drives in a single pool. When a drive pool is created using multiple drives, a single virtual device (Pool 1 in this case) is formed. Targeting a job to this drive pool (Pool1) rather than targeting the job to an individual device will provide fault tolerance and maximize hardware efficiency.

Thank You,

Shweta

Bernd_Maierhofe
Level 3
Thank you for the answer. Just to clearify: I want my backup to overflow from autoloader 1 to aotoloader 2 if necessary. I understand the manual that this needs a cascaded drive pool. But I am not able to create the cascaded drive pool with the autoloaders.

What are the exact steps?

Tia + brgds bernd