cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-501 The log file is corrupt. '

Sverre_Amundsen
Level 4

Hello,

I have this backup problem I was looking to find an answer for.

I have BackupExec 2010 R2 installed on 2003 x64 R2 sp2.

Im backing up my DAG group from Exchange 2010 on 2008 R2.

I have 5 databases and they all backup fine except number 1.

Number 1 throws this error every time I run a backup

Error category    : Resource Errors
Error             : e00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-759

Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-501 The log file is corrupt. '

Im using Full database and log backup with GRT and VSS turned on. The backed up database is the passive one.

The backup is put on B2D (Exagrid cluster, deduplication).

It seems that the data is copied from Database 1, but when BackupExec tries to read the backup for the GRT indexing it fails.

But only on this one database, it work fine on the 4 others....

For reference - Exchange 2010 does not report any error on the database

Anybody know what might cause this?

Im grateful for all replyes .)

BR

Sverre

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sverre_Amundsen
Level 4

Yes, ok so this is one solution that worked for GRT backup.

Go to the job properties - Microsoft Exchange - High Availability Server (Exch 2007 or later):

set this to "Backup from the active copy only".

That gave me success on the GRT job.

Only problem is, I dont know what kind of impact a backupExec job will have on an Exchange 2010 active database? 

Anyone can link me some info on this I'd be grateful:)

Also this setting is against Symtantec's (recommended) setting which is:

"Let BackupExec automatically choose the best copy to back up."

I did also try the last setting there "Backup from the passive copy only" and I placed both of my mailbox-role servers in the preferred list since they will be switching active/passive with each other, but that job failed to.

So backing up the active database worked although it is against Symantec and Microsofts recommendations. This guy though was on to somthing.

Note:
Although the Exchange 2010 VSS plug-in is capable of backing up DAG protected mailbox databases, it is important to note that you only can perform the backup or restore via an active database. This means that if one of your mailbox databases should fail-over to another server, the next backup job on the server that originally held the active database copy would fail

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/high-availability-recovery/uncover...

I thought that this limitation got "fixed" with SP1 for Exchange 2010, but I guess its still not 100%.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Sverre,

Check the technote below...might help point you in the right direction!

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH128115

Craig

Sverre_Amundsen
Level 4

Hello,

There is no c:\temp\backup exec folder on the Exchange 2010 server.

Not even when the backup runs.

So thanks, but that didnt help.

CraigV

Mmm...what happens if you run a backup just of the databse giving you issues in a new selection list and job?

Sverre_Amundsen
Level 4

Hello,

Yes I have already tried to create a new selection list and job of just that one database.

With GRT = fails with same message as original post

without GRT  = success (but then I can access mailboxes..ofcource:)

Also tried with the Advanced Open File set to 2003 and above - auto select, but still fails.

and I cant find any Symantec info on the '-501 The log file is corrupt. ' 

CraigV

...don't use AOFO...this isn't recommended with database backups...

Sverre_Amundsen
Level 4

OK, no problem AOFO was only my last ditch attempt at getting it to work :)

its this message that grinds my gears.

Note: The Microsoft Exchange backup was made from the passive copy of the database on server xxxxxxx.

The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange database Database was successful.

The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange transaction log Logs ( E00000013BD.log - E0000001415.log ) was successful.

V-79-57344-759 Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-501 The log file is corrupt. '

Why cant Symantec give me somthing more on this error. It says in the consistency check that the log is OK !!!

Say like, "501 The log file is corrupt", this corresponds to an error message that you would get in Exchange 2000 and 2003, but I dont belive that my Exchange 2010 database is corrupt. Even when I run the |more command on "databasehealthstatus" in the Exchange PS console it all look good. 

So is this error message trying to tell me that a BackupExec log is corrupt ? and if so how to fix it?

any more ideas would be good, if some one could atleast provide some detailed info about the error message I could get deeper into the problem.

CraigV

...if it is an option to deselect the consistency check, do so...

Sverre_Amundsen
Level 4

OK, I tried to turn off the "Perform consistency check before backup when using MS Volum Shadow copy Serivice".

But nothing different, the database GRT job still failes.

Symantec ??? anyone:)

CraigV

...I have flagged this for support for you.

If they help solve this, please post how it was done.

Thanks!

Sverre_Amundsen
Level 4

Hey thanks for the flag.

You know if they will contact me on email or in this post?

CraigV

They should be contacting you directly Sverre...probably private message. If not, post an update here and I will see if I can escalate further for you. Don't forget to post the solution here...

Sverre_Amundsen
Level 4

no problem, I'll post i shear joy if they help me fix it :)

Sverre_Amundsen
Level 4

Update,

I tried to exclude c:\temp\backup exec from the antivirus realtime-scan on the mailbox servers even though the folder didnt exist (yes I know, its stupid to even try, but Im desperate here:/

It did no good and the backup job still fails.

@CraigV - I have not heard anything from Symantec support yet, but now there is another thread on the forum with the same error as mine, maybe that will generate more attention :)

CraigV

...give it another day...does it do the same thing to disk?

Can you take the Information Store offline and run a consistency check against it?

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

Update the Exchange 2007 Management Tools installed on the Backup Exec server to the same level of patches applied on the Exchange 2007 server. Confirm that the ESE.DLL versions match on both servers

CraigV

Hi,

Remember me mentioning in a post you created about people reading the forum topic correctly...??? This is 1 of them...

The user is using Exchange 2010...please stop posting the incorrect details/solutions!!!

Craig

Sverre_Amundsen
Level 4

Yes, ok so this is one solution that worked for GRT backup.

Go to the job properties - Microsoft Exchange - High Availability Server (Exch 2007 or later):

set this to "Backup from the active copy only".

That gave me success on the GRT job.

Only problem is, I dont know what kind of impact a backupExec job will have on an Exchange 2010 active database? 

Anyone can link me some info on this I'd be grateful:)

Also this setting is against Symtantec's (recommended) setting which is:

"Let BackupExec automatically choose the best copy to back up."

I did also try the last setting there "Backup from the passive copy only" and I placed both of my mailbox-role servers in the preferred list since they will be switching active/passive with each other, but that job failed to.

So backing up the active database worked although it is against Symantec and Microsofts recommendations. This guy though was on to somthing.

Note:
Although the Exchange 2010 VSS plug-in is capable of backing up DAG protected mailbox databases, it is important to note that you only can perform the backup or restore via an active database. This means that if one of your mailbox databases should fail-over to another server, the next backup job on the server that originally held the active database copy would fail

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/high-availability-recovery/uncover...

I thought that this limitation got "fixed" with SP1 for Exchange 2010, but I guess its still not 100%.