cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V10 and HP DAT 72

g_hudson
Not applicable
I am running V10 on a XP Pro computer, I am Backing up 4 remote servers one a Win 2003 the others Win2000.
The total capacity of the servers are 186gb with 55gb used disk space. The HP DAT 72 tape drive I am using is set for 2:1 compression which should allow 72gb of backup.
The backup runs fine up until 32gb and the ejects the tape and asks for more media.
Any ideas because this is driving me crazy?

Garry
5 REPLIES 5

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
Hi Garry,

Twice the native capacity of a media is usually given as the maximum possible amount of data that could be written to a tape. It should be noted that this figure is rarely achieved. Please review the following document that may help in resolving the issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/199542

What is the compression method used? If you're using hardware then try using software compression for test purpose. If you're using software compression then try using hardware compression.

What is the data backed up? Compression also depends on the data type. For example, it should be noted that certain types of data files (e.g. jpeg, gif, mp3, zip, mpeg, etc..) are already compressed due to their format hence cannot be compressed further.

Additionally, install the latest device drivers:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275676

We hope this helps.
If the issue persists then do reply to this post within two business days, else we will assume that the issue is resolved and will archive the case.

Thanks.

Martin_Chua
Level 3
You did not answer the question: why Veritas did not backup pass 36GB? Even if the data were to contain highly compressed content like graphics, Veritas should not stop the backup job when the tape media is 36GB full.

Anyway, I encountered the same problem with my DAT (DDS5 & DDS4) drive. Everything was fine until we upgrade to BE 10, sigh ! (:

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

We want to know if the solution provided has helped you in getting resolve your problem?

Please keep us updating on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Martin_Chua
Level 3
Hi,

V10 did not turn on compression on my DAT 72 & DAT 24/40 tape drives. V9 & before all works fine. All my DAT drives are in Veritas HCL list, tested & audited by Veritas.

Now I've to backup less than the native capacity of my drive !

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Assuming that the povided solution is correct also there is no reply from the customer within 2 business days of the previous reply.