cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VFF Open Failure - Exchange 2007 - BE 11d

TriBalSimBa
Level 2

I believe this started occuring after trying to "Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from Information Store backups" when I was moving the Journal Mailbox from 2003 to 2007, and wanted to ensure archived emails could be recovered.  I have admittedly been ignoring it for quite some time; but I'm in the process of migrating Exchange to 2013, so I was trying to ensure my backups were in tiptop condition before starting.

The Full Backup job always ended with the following, although the incrementals did not:

Final error: 0xe0008485 - The item could not be opened while in use.
Final error category: Resource Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33925

Backup- \\<servername>\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group

Error writing file data.
Error writing file data.
Error writing security data stream.
Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options for the following reason: VFF Open Failure.  This can be caused by low memory or disk resources.

This article was pretty resourceful, but did not lead me to the specific answer.

http://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/vff-open-failure-exchange

This article, on how to properly install the AOFO with your Remote Agent, when applied to my exchange server, resulted in success.  Apparently at some point, AOFO is used for "Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from Information Store backups.", but not if it's unchecked.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH82959

I hope this simple, specific example is helpful to someone.  It may apply to newer versions of BacupExec and Exchange. FWIW.

3 REPLIES 3

TriBalSimBa
Level 2

I forgot to mention what led me to install/re-install the AOFO on the Remote Server.

In reviewing the "Job Operation - Backup", sub-section \Information Store\First Storage Group" there was this entry in the Job Log details:

AOFO: Started for resource: "\\\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" . The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume C: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).

Notice that AOFO is being started for the "Information Store" Resource, not for the File System objects; and in the backup job the AOFO setting is not enabled.

Selecting "Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from Information Store backups" invokes the AOFO VSS Writer on the Information Store to perform a GRT (Granual Recovery Technology) backup. Therefore, the AOFO feature of the Remote Agent must be installed on the Remote Server, and furthermore may need to be updated to the same Version/Revision level of the Backup Media Server.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 11d does not support Exchange 2013 and never will.  Exchange 2013 will only be supported in the next release of BE 2010 or BE 2012.

TriBalSimBa
Level 2

Thank you.  A costly adventure I'm not looking forward to.

My larger challenge will be getting from 11d to Continous Protection for Hyper-V.

Can anyone chime in on how they backup their SQL/Exchange (any DB) VM's.  Do you just backup VHD's; or do you actually perform application aware backups of the databases from Symantec Backup Exec?

Looking for strategies....