cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Restore to NAS

quaium
Level 3

I've got a really strange problem.

I am trying to restore a virtual machine backup to a NAS drive. I have set up the share on NAS and given the correct permissions. I can restore a file to the NAS perfectly.

The problem is with a VM restore. The restore completes successfully but for some odd reason the restored files don't go to the NAS, instead a folder is created in C:\Windows\System32\*NAS_Share_Name* and the files are dumped there.

I've tried everything and can't for the life of me figure out why Backup Exec would re-direct the files to the C:\ of the local server. I'm very confused.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The redirect restore of a VMware VM  to a network path is not supported (and if you try it then the result is a restore to the path you mentioned)  - redirect the restore to a local path on the Backup Exec server and then copy the files across to the NAS.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver

The redirect restore of a VMware VM  to a network path is not supported (and if you try it then the result is a restore to the path you mentioned)  - redirect the restore to a local path on the Backup Exec server and then copy the files across to the NAS.

Colin_Weaver

Took my a while but I found the document that states you can't restore to a network share or location

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000085197

quaium
Level 3

Thank you. I really can't understand why Backup Exec doesn't allow this. Things like this annoy me about Backup Exec. It's just added another process of copying the files from local storage to the NAS.