cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware 4.1U2, Exchange 2007 SP1, Backup Exec 2010R3+latest patches - GRT data missing

Jeff_C
Level 3

Hi all,

After running an Exchange backup over the weekend using vmware AVVI agent, the Backup Exec catalogue contains no GRT data.  The job has GRT for Exchange selected under the VMware section.

When looking under the Exchange AD name of the resource, you can see the public folder and storage group name, but clicking within them only shows the Exchange log file from the backup.

The job shows that it completed successfully, but there's no GRT data!

9 REPLIES 9

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you have the Exchange 2007 management Tools installed on your Backup Exec media server ?

Jeff_C
Level 3

Yes, it has the Exchange Management tools installed.  They were installed when this server was a previous version.  Are they required on a 2010R3 server?

A second job was run after I noticed there was no GRT data using the VMware Agent.  That backup was a regular remote agent backup, and it does have GRT data.

Jeff_C
Level 3

Just to summarize -

VMware Backup - No GRT data

Backup with Remote Agent - GRT data present.

Both jobs state they completed successfully, using the same resource credentials.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you try using the Exchange agent, does the backup complete successfully & offer a GRT restore as well ?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you have the Exchange management tools installed on the Media server?

Also have you seen this

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH172176

Finally as part of the research into the above document the question has been asked as to what sort of storage the target device (B2D folder etc) is and whether or not any kind of Anti-Virus or other security product might be affecting the files in the storage location.

Jeff_C
Level 3

Yes,

I may have not stated it correctly in my comment above, but just to repeat -

Using the AVVI based backup with Exchange GRT selected in the vmware options section didn't seem to record GRT data.

Using the Remote Agent, or regular backup, with Exchange GRT options selected recorded GRT data.

Jeff_C
Level 3

Thank you the tech article you have matches my job log exactly. 

I have an open case with tech support, and they were supposed to call me back within 2 hours since yesterday morning - still waiting for that call.

• Finally as part of the research into the above document the question has been asked as to what sort of storage the target device (B2D folder etc) is and whether or not any kind of Anti-Virus or other security product might be affecting the files in the storage location.

We are backing up to a Dell PV2000 tape via FC, and there is AV running on the Exchange Server.  Symantec Endpoint protection version 11.0.7000.975.

I've checked the settings and it doesn't appear that anything is set to be excluded from scanning.  I'm not entirely sure of the settings that need to be applied for exclusion. 

Would we be excluding the edb and the log files for the storage groups?  Is there a real-time exception that needs to be applied as well as scheduled scanning?  Would you have knowledge on this?

Thanks,

teiva-boy
Level 6

For SEP, it automatically excludes Exchange if detected upon install.  You can actually see it on the client, when you browse into the registry of the Exchange host to view the exclusions.  I don't recall the exact key path, but something along the lines of HKLM>Software>Symantec>Endpoint>etc....

Jeff_C
Level 3

This TECH article describes how to manage the exclusions - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102400

To check the SEP exclusions for x64 server running Exchange 2007 / 2010 look into this registry key:

HKLM\Software\WOW6432node\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\AV\Exclusions\

I looked in the location above for my Exchange 2007 SP1 x64 server, and there are entries to exclude the mailbox storage groups, public folders, etc.

But I have a question, all of the KEYS (storage group mailboxes) have VALUES of "0".

For an exclusion to be active, does the value for the key need to be "1" or "0"?  Could SEP have correctly identified the folders to be excluded, but not have excluded them?  They don't show up in any of the GUI screens that I can see... Would these be listed in any of the GUIs?