cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware Full / Differential not working - Same Size

Moltron1
Level 5

I have a fresh install of BE 2010 R2 fully patched and am trying to setup a weekly full / daily differential backup policy for my VMware enviornment.  And BTW, in Vmware I am running vSphere 4.0 U2 all guests are on HW v7.

Well, I've got the policy setup and have configured the weekly to do full backups for the files and in the VMware agent setup area.  For the dailys I did Differential in both areas as well and for both I am using AVVI, and want to take advantage of CBT.

I first ran the weekly backup to get a full backup.  That resulted in around 650GB backed up.  Then I started the daily (supposed to be differential) and that again resulted in 650GB backed up.  Would think this would be much lower...  I let the daily backup run on its schedule that night to find that it backed up 50GB.  That seems better, more along the lines of a differential.

Things seemed to be fine until the next full weekly ran on schedule, which resulted in backing up 50GB.  I would expect this to be back up to the 650GB range since this would be a full...  I had previously considered CBT to act like the backup bit in a typical filesystem, but I must be mistaken.

Can anyone explain this behavior to me?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6

Doa search in this forum for "differentials" and you'll find a few similar stories and possibly a fix or reason for it.  You were not the only one to have this issue.

Moltron1
Level 5

There is a recent patch out there which I applied to BE.  I ended up re-doing the selection list and policy and things seem to be working ok for now...  Not sure if the patch did it or just re-creating the jobs.  If the problem comes back, I'll be posting here again...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If your Datastore is on NFS then make sure that Hotfix 147674 for BackuP Exec 2010 R2 is installed (this was only released in last few days and was not put on LiveUpdate immediately so you may not have it.

And also make sure that you are using the full ESX admin role in your backup credentials and not reduced security into the ESX environment.