cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable elapsed times

christina_lau
Level 2
We have been using 9.1 on a Windows 2000 Server platform for the past year and a half. Just 10 days ago I noticed that the backup took 29 hours to complete when in the past it has normally taken 9. The amount of information to be backed up had not changed dramatically (it usually fluctuates between 1 - 5 gb per day). The next day, the elapsed time returned back to 9 hours and stayed 9 hours until a day later. I can't understand this fluctuation in elapsed time. I went through the log files and the only discrepancy I can find is as below:

9 hr log file:
Backup completed on 25/10/2005 at 06:44:04.
Backup Set Summary
Backed up 426723 files in 24360 directories.
11 items were skipped.
Processed 71,688,806,085 bytes in 3 hours, 59 minutes, and 41 seconds.
Throughput rate: 285 MB/min

29 hour log file:
Backup completed on 22/10/2005 at 00:00:10.
Backup Set Summary
Backed up 433895 files in 25121 directories.
52 items were skipped.
Processed 69,099,469,407 bytes in 21 hours, 19 minutes, and 59 seconds.
Throughput rate: 51.5 MB/min

I have read quite a few of the posts and referred to support pages 231488.htm; 249090.htm; 23744.htm but none have been able to shed any light on this. Nothing has been changed or added, no services run through the night yet on some days the backup crawls to a near halt. Can anyone help please?
4 REPLIES 4

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It seems that the problem wherein the backup takes a long time to run occurs randomly. Is this the same backup? At what time is the backup scheduled? What are you backing up in this job? Do you get any errors in the event logs or in the alerts tab within Backup exec when the job takes long to run?

Since when does the problem occur? Is this job run on a device? Check if the device drivers and firmware are up to date.

Revert with the above details if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

christina_lau
Level 2
1. Yes it is, we do a full back up every week night.

2. The back up starts at 10pm and when it works, ends at 7am. During this time, there is no one logged into the system. I have since changed it to start at 9pm to see if it makes a difference (It hasn't)

3. The exchange server is backed up first then the office documents (ie Word, Excel, Powerpoint). We don't have any databases. Its a fairly straightforward set up.

4. No there are no errors in the event log. The only discrepancy between the two is the speed. When it works, its something like 285mb per minute, when it takes 26 hours, it crawls to 51mb per minute. I can't see anything in the event logs (open files, media, device

5. The problem occured about a month ago. At first we thought it was a conflict with the APC and we upgraded the software (of the APC), but it made no difference.

6. We already have the latest drivers installed for the external tape drive (HP Ultrium 2-SCSI)

Thomas_Bianco
Level 5
you might want to look at the log files in detail and figure out where major delta is. if one of your server is losing packets, or something like, it could have this effect.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
We apologise for the Inconvinience cuased to you due to the late reply. Could you please Update us with the actual status of the Problem.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.